How do I fix security light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The security light in front of the garage suddenly stopped working. I changed the halogen bulb - still not working. I've changed the fuse on the switch - still not working.

The PIR unit is separte from the light itself. How do I troubleshoot the setup - there must be way of testing it without having to wait until its dark to trigger the light on?

Sponsored Links
MilindPuri said:
The security light in front of the garage suddenly stopped working. I changed the halogen bulb - still not working. I've changed the fuse on the switch - still not working.

The PIR unit is separte from the light itself. How do I troubleshoot the setup - there must be way of testing it without having to wait until its dark to trigger the light on?
use a multimeter and find where there is voltage. could be the PIR at fault. might be cheaper/easier to replace light

MilindPuri said:
there must be way of testing it without having to wait until its dark to trigger the light on?

Put a cover over the sensor (to make it dark ;) ).

Thought on most sensors you can control when the sensor activates the light as in how dark it is before the light is switched on.

Using this, just turn the switch the full way so the light comes on in complete daylight.

Anyhow, I've noticed on some sensors, water gets into it and kills this.

Is there any sign of water in it?

Sponsored Links
Darkness said:
Thought on most sensors you can control when the sensor activates the light as in how dark it is before the light is switched on.

Using this, just turn the switch the full way so the light comes on in complete daylight.?

which switch - is there one on the PIR?

Darkness said:
Anyhow, I've noticed on some sensors, water gets into it and kills this.

Is there any sign of water in it?

When I'm at home and its light next (next weekend probably now) I'll open it up and take a look - unlikely though as the PIR is fairly sheltered from the rain.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

andy said:
use a multimeter and find where there is voltage. could be the PIR at fault. might be cheaper/easier to replace light

aah a multimeter - I've not got one of those. I might call a sparky though for a minor job like this I don't know if I can get anyone to come. I might get the circuit rewired so I can turn the light on/off at will as well as having the PIR control it - gives the sparky something else to do to make it worth his while!

In my experience these units don't have very long life, and the most common failure mode is for the relay to fuse.

It's never worth repairing them - just get a new one. You get what you pay for, and one of reasonable quality and ordinary style will cost about £20.

Don't forget to isolate the supply before replacing.

Is there not a switch of some sort to adjust the timing, sensitivity and activation depending on ambient lighting of the PIR?

If its one of those Pir/Light combo's and you think its dead, buy a new one as they aren't that expensive.

Re 'getting a new one' - the PIR and the light are two separate things. Should I just replace them both?

Can you hear the pir clicking on when near. There should be an adjuster on the pir with a moon symbol, you can turn this to operate in daylight. They do fail often, any idea of the pir make as there are a few very good ones which run for years usually. Also have tried more than one lamp, make sure you dont touch the glass with your fingers, also sometime due to massive heat at source the lampholders move and just need bending back out skightly to make sure good connection to lamp.

delmel said:
... sometime due to massive heat at source the lampholders move and just need bending back out skightly to make sure good connection to lamp.

Yup fixed - the light bulb was not sitting in the light properly!

Silly me - it wasn't me who fixed it - I had a sparky round for something else and he found it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back