How do I get rid of this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before we moved in I think there was an old porch on the back door which they took down. We're now left with what I can only assume is old, dry and very hard silicone or something plus paint on the bricks. As you can see I've tried to get rid of some of it with a wire brush attachment thing on my drill but it just seems to be making a mess of it. Any advice on how to get rid of it because there's some on the front door too and don't want to make a mess. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try dabbing some white sprit on and leaving for a few mins then rub with a bit more, try a small bit first it will work fine on tiles but not sure if it will work on porous surface like brick.

Sponsored Links
Scar lines from old windows and doors are something window fitters come across often.
Easiest and cleanest way is just a sharp chisel and a hammer, Place the chisel against the scar line almost flat and gently tap with the hammer. Take it slow and gentle so as not to damage the bricks.

Scar lines from old windows and doors are something window fitters come across often.
Easiest and cleanest way is just a sharp chisel and a hammer, Place the chisel against the scar line almost flat and gently tap with the hammer. Take it slow and gentle so as not to damage the bricks.

Yep I think that sounds like a plan, I will try and get the bulk of it off with a hammer and chisel then use the silicone eater as big-all recommended to remove what's left. As for the paint I'll give footprints suggestion a try with the white spirit, thanks everyone :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back