How do you get rid of builders dust?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just had our new house plastered and we have plastering, sanding dust everywhere. Now it is all dried we are left with a large amount of dust that all we seem to do is move around.

Does anyone know of the best way to get rid of all this dust, as hoovering with a domestic hoover just does seem to work.

We are desperate!

Mandy :confused:

Sponsored Links
plaster dust will wreck a domestic vacuum (also a computer, TV or other electronic equipment)

You need a canister-type wet-and-dry workshop vac as sold at Screwfix or DIY sheds.

Plaster dust will clog the pleated filter, so (1) buy a spare filter (you can clean it with a stiff brush) (2) use it with the giant paper dust bags they sell to fit.

Don't buy one that you can't easily buy additional pleated filters or bags for.

Sponsored Links
I resent it being called "builders' dust".

It is in fact your dust, from your home and is dust that you own.

We just create it a majority of the time!

410Qbscz4QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And then

41AXmNRj4UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've also just sprayed water onto the dusty floor etc then swept and mopped.
Water just keeps the dust from flying everywhere.
Cheapest option i guess?

I've also just sprayed water onto the dusty floor etc then swept and mopped.
Water just keeps the dust from flying everywhere.
Cheapest option i guess?

Well whatever you do to get rid of the dust, you still need to mop.

One thing I did do was get everything out the bedrooms we would need that day and then I sealed the doors with Large masking tape which prevented the worst of the dust getting in, also Screwfix Direct sell what is like sticky back plastic to cover your flooring.

One thing I did do was get everything out the bedrooms we would need that day and then I sealed the doors with Large masking tape which prevented the worst of the dust getting in, also Screwfix Direct sell what is like sticky back plastic to cover your flooring.

Yeah I did the same and I'm glad I did. The dust from chimney removal is more than what I had imagined.

Henry is definitely the answer, almost indestructable.

Previous tips about removing stiff from rooms and sealing rooms also good for next time

A wet cloth and elbow grease is of more use, even the best vacuums throw out dust and the exhaust disturbs any sitting dust.
Hang polythene dust sheets across doorways and they will attract a lot of airborne dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back