how do I get yellowish mortar please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to re-point around my brick fireplace.

I had a bag of ready mixed sand/cement that I needed for another area, however that was no good as when it dried, it was very dark/brownish/grey.

I appreciate I will probably need to experiment with the mix to get the colour I want, but can you please give me some advice as to what sand and what cement to start my experiments with so I end up with yellow mortar?

Also reading other posts, should I be using lime too? There is a big wood burner that chucks out a lot of heat.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's sandstone yellow, you need to use white cement instead of OPC(grey cement), and also need to add yellow dye pigments. But this maybe achievable by using yellow building sands, it will be trial and error if your after an exact match.
If the yellow is not a bright yellow the colour can be darkened by adding a small amount of OPC.
Using brown/grey building sand will also effect the colours, so a yellow builders sand and white silica sand would be a good blend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back