How do I install downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing downlights How do I wire five recessed downlights (no transformer) to replace one central ceiling light? Thanx

Sponsored Links
You wire them in parallel. Do you want to put one where the old ceiling rose is now? If so, how many terminals are in that rose?

If there are only three: live, neutral and earth then it's easy. There should only be one wire in each terminal. Connect these to the appropriate terminals in your new light but put the three cores of another length of 1mm flat twin and earth in there as well. This cable goes to the second light. From that one, another length of cable goes to the third and so on.

If there are four, which is more likely, you'll see that most have more than one wire in them. TAKE GREAT CARE NOT TO MIX THESE WIRES UP! Two of the terminals will have wires from the bulb holder in them. A third will be earth. The wires from these three terminals go into your new light fitting as before. The wires from the fourth one must be joined together in a piece of choc block. If you don't do this you will find that other lights around the house no longer work! NB That terminal will be live EVEN WHEN THE LIGHT IS SWITCHED OFF!

If you aren't putting any of the new lights where the old one is then it's a bit easier. Replace the old ceiling rose with a four way junction box.

breezer said:
look in the for refernce section- lights in paralell

Breezer sorry to appear dumb, but I'm new to this sight and it wasn't obvious to me where the reference section is.

Thanx Felix, I am indeed putting a down light where the ceiling rose is, then connecting another 4 lights. I will investigate further to check the existing configuration.

Please note 10a ;)

Sponsored Links
not_so_bright_spark said:
Breezer sorry to appear dumb, but I'm new to this sight and it wasn't obvious to me where the reference section is.

we have several things on this forum one of them is called search the other is for refernce, but as you are new it is the first post in UK electrics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back