Downlight Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first post on here but get the feeling it won't be the last!

As the subject says, I've got downlight problems that seem to be getting worse the more I read about it.

First off, the bathroom downlights run in a bank of three. When I moved into the property two out of three were working, another one then went and wouldn't work when tried to replace it. Then the centre one stopped working! After looking at the connectors on the bulbs (mr16's) the central one is black (scorched?) as if it has too much power running through it.

I decided to replace the downlights. Didn't realise until taking the old downlights out that there is also a transformer in there (240v 12w going off memory). Purchased a set of GU10 downlights and wired them up but they didn't work. Wired the old downlights up again and the central one now works again! So now I'm not sure whether I purchased the wrong set of downlights as I didn't know about the transformer or whether the transformer is on the blink. The downlights all have 50w bulbs in by the way.

Add to it all I've read that the transformer should be kept away from loft insulation and realised when I found it the transformer was covered by insulation! So not only have I got lights that don't work I also have a fire hazard! Not good!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Let me just clarify something. Did you connect the new GU10 fittings to the output on the transformer because you didn't realise it was there? If this is the case then they wouldn't have worked since the transformer drops the voltage to 12V and GU10's are 240V lamps. Is there just one transformer for all 3 lights? First thought though would be that the lamp holders are knackered especially if it's a one transformer scenario with only one or two lights not working.

Didn't realise the transfomer was there until I'd wired up the new lights, due to it being buried under loft insulation. As far as I can tell there is just one transformer, tried looking for others but couldn't feel anything. Kind of thought it might be the lamp holders but wasn't too sure obviously! Do you know where I could purchase replacements or would it involve a whole new set?

Bin the transformer, wire the GU10s to the mains. Job done. No more transformer woes.

Sponsored Links
Removing the transformer and using GU10 fittings should work, but still leaves other issues to address, including:-

Loft insulation and ventilation around the light fittings - damage to the old lamp holders suggests this may be an issue.

Suitability of the fittings - are the new fittings you have rated for use in a bathroom?

And Part P - Are you really changing 'like for like'?

The loft insulation is more a worry now than the downlights themselves! The transformer was covered in it, I only realised there was a transformer when I pulled the on wires to attach the new light and it popped out from under the insulation.

I am changing like for like and the lights are suitable for use in a bathroom (zone 3), but how easy is it to remove the transformer? If it is going to be a long job I will consult an electrician rather than mess about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back