Downlights

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have 4 downlights in my landing and only one is working. I have replaced the bulbs but no joy.

The downlights have transformers on them, can they be replaced with LEDs without transformers?

Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
If the lights have integral transformers then they have 230V supplied to them, so you can replace them with 230V LED units.

You might like to consider replacing all of them with a single light which is actually good at lighting up spaces - doesn't the need for 4 lights in a space that small at least hint that they aren't very good at it?

MR16 stands for multifaceted reflector 16/8" across, not that much area to start with, but with an LED some of it is used for cooling fins so even less area. So once one goes over around 3W per lamp much of the light is lost, so rather a poor way of lighting. However if that is the look you want then nothing to stop you fitting either 230 volt with GU10 connection, or 12 volt with G5.3 connection, but the latter will need toroidal transformers not electronic transformers.

So I can replace them directly with Led units with no transformer ?

Would these ones be OK
LAP FIXED FIRE RATED LED DOWNLIGHT BRUSHED CHROME 220LM 2.5W 240V on screwfix site??

Sponsored Links
Electrically? Yes.

Mechanically? Depends on the size of the existing holes.

Luminously? Your choice.

What is built into the light to allow 2-3V LEDs to be powered by 230V is irrelevant in this context. The lights aren't on a dimmer, are they?

no they are just on a switch so no issues with dimmers, would that have been an issue if they were?

Last edited:
OK update called into Cef they advised 3 units can't be replaced, while circuit had to be ripped out and 4 new units installed with new transformers!!!!

I just though I cud buy 3 of the LEDs and remove the 3 halogen downlights along with transformers and install the LEDs ones!!!

Any thoughys

CEF are wrong.
But 240v LED usually use GU10 bases, whereas 12v lamps usually use GU5.3 bases. So you would need new units with GU10 bases.

CEF are wrong.
Are you sure that they weren't simply saying that lights identical to the ones the OP has are no longer available, so that if he wants them to all look the same, he'll have to replace all four, including the one which is still working?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back