How do I insulate a flat roof built in the 70s?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My lounge is freezing because it is a flat roof extension built in the 70s and has no insulation in it. It was refelted about 8 years ago, so I don't want to mess that up, or take the ceiling down. Ive been told that loose fill insulation can't be blown in because the noggins will get in the way.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
How high is the ceiling from floor level? Would you be willing to lose 150mm?

Having said that, that would necessitate refitting the lights and replastering, so you may as well remove the existinng ceiling and fill the existing void properly.

Gary

If you choose to insulate from below it will be classed as cold deck and you will need to vent the ceiling void.

If you insulate from above then this will mean a re-felt but at least you will have a warm deck scenario.

You will require 125mm celotex or similar across the top of the joists to achieve current standards.

This is the equivalent of 300mm fibreglass insulation should you wish to go down the cold deck and vented route.

I doubt you will have any success trying to feed stuff in from the ends.

Thanks for your views. It's confirmed what I thought - it's not a simple job!

Sponsored Links
Hi

Have a chat with your local planning/building control dept., they should be able to offer some advice as to the best and most affordable ways to insulate the roof.

Do a web search for your local planning dept., and somewhere on the site you will find a page (possibly under Building Regulations Application or Planning Permission) where you can make an initial enquiry, and someone will get back to you - then take matters forward from there.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back