How do I Lay Granite Slabs on a Gravel Patio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an area in the back approx 8mx4m that I want make into a gravel patio. I picked up 14 600mm x 600mm granite slabs to lay individually, the area is a former patio so the grounds a well compacted mix of sand, aggregate and heavy clay.

The slabs should be level with 200mm high sleeper edging and flush with gravel surface. On a budget but whats the best/simplest way to accomplish this?

The end result should look something like this.

installing-concrete-pavers12.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would prepare a full mortar bed about 50 mm deep for each slab, laying one at a time. (Read about beds here. I would use sharp sand and cement, mixed with a bit of water. That site also has loads if information about laying paving.) If I needed to build up to finish flush with the sleeper, I would build up the height with hardcore so that the mortar bed was the same thickness for all the slabs. It may help to use some SBR as a bond bridge when laying granite: I don't know, I haven't laid granite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back