How do I open up this old kitchen mixer tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old kitchen mixer tap which has gradually deteriorated - it is now quite clunky and takes a lot of force to fully close it. I want to leave the plumbing alone if possible (so not replace the whole tap).

However, firstly I can't see how to open it up - I can't see a cap to pop out/unscrew to access the screw to open it up (that is normally behind the hot/cold symbol). So first question is how do I get it open? I tried levering the cap off using the small indentation visible in the close-up, but a little piece of plastic snapped off.

Secondly, once I get it open, what will be inside - is it likely to be a standard size cartridge like https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-35mm-ceramic-tap-cartridge/6086x? If it is, will changing that make it work like new again, and how do I know which size I'll need? Or, for single-lever kitchen mixer taps like this, can you get reviver kits like https://www.toolstation.com/lever-basin-tap-reviver-kit/p70902? Might be nice to get a different handle that way. Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 22.15.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 22.15.51.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 82
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 22.15.51 (4).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 22.15.51 (4).jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 77
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 22.15.51 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-29 at 22.15.51 (1).jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
Try looking for a grub screw if that top part doesn’t come off.

Sponsored Links
Try unscrewing the top cap?
the very top part above the handle? had a go but it's difficult to grip - wouldn't want to break it if I used grips or something and it turns out to not actually be a screw cap..?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
the very top part above the handle? had a go but it's difficult to grip - wouldn't want to break it if I used grips or something and it turns out to not actually be a screw cap..?
Yeah, I suppose. Surely it’s maintainable though, so it’ll either unscrew, the cap lifts off or pulls off (doubt it’s this type though).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back