How do I prep and paint this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right outside of my front door I have what appears to be some sort of masonry. Anyone know the actual name of this part?

It is looking very tatty, with flaky/chipping red paint

Can anyone advise on how to properly prepare and paint this area?

I would like to paint it black. What products should I use?

As this is right by my front door, it is a high traffic area which will take some abuse.

Attachments

• IMG_20230124_110742268.png
    IMG_20230124_110742268.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
It is a masonry step.

As you suggest it is a high traffic area. If you use a gloss paint it will become matt before long. You will be better off using a waterbased mid sheen black. It will not be anymore durable, but it will be easier to touch in.

It is a masonry step.

As you suggest it is a high traffic area. If you use a gloss paint it will become matt before long. You will be better off using a waterbased mid sheen black. It will not be anymore durable, but it will be easier to touch in.
Masonry step - Thank you.

Does my plan sound good?

1. Remove existing paint with chemical paint stripper/ sanding etc

2. Clean concrete and then use stabilising solution (sandtex)

3. Paint monsonry step with Rust-Oleum 7200 PU Floorcoat

Also wouldn't it be a good idea to paint it in gloss because when it inevitably dulls it will have a eggshell kinda look.

Or is it better to just stick with matt?

Sponsored Links
Masonry step - Thank you.

Does my plan sound good?

1. Remove existing paint with chemical paint stripper/ sanding etc

2. Clean concrete and then use stabilising solution (sandtex)

3. Paint monsonry step with Rust-Oleum 7200 PU Floorcoat

Also wouldn't it be a good idea to paint it in gloss because when it inevitably dulls it will have a eggshell kinda look.

Or is it better to just stick with matt?

I don't think you need to use a stabilising solution. They are normally use when the finish is loose/powdery.

7200 PU would be ideal, but it only seems to be available in 5L tins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back