How do I remedy damp in a dry-lined wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know that damp queries have been done to death but I think that this one is slightly different. I have a plan but am just wondering if anyone can offer any better solution?

I have a brick constructed wall that was bare brickwork but I have recently applied dot/dab + plasterboard & skim to try and smarten it up. However, it has within a matter of weeks, started to show signs of damp up to about 400mm from the bottom. The wall is the back-side of next door's extension and is probably a bathroom or similar within. On my side, the room was a kitchen. They are old properties ~1850s and so clearly no DPC.

My plan is to cut back the plasterboard 1m from internal floor level and remove the dot/dab back to the bare brick. Coat the wall and down on to the floor with KA tanking solution and then reapply plasterboard with Instastick etc. I am having to coat the floor with the tanking solution anyway so will just carry it on up the wall.

Is 1m high enough?

Has anyone any better ideas? Seems a shame to chop off newly skimmed plasterboard.

Many thanks.

RrogerD

Sponsored Links
there is obviously a source of water causing the damp

the room was a kitchen. They are old properties ~1850s

so 150 years ago a water pipe was put under the floors.

Have you got a water meter?

Hi JohnD,

Thanks for your time.

It was not originally a kitchen but an outside wall. A sort of alley way at the rear of the property. The previous owner simply put a flat roof over the alleyway plus a rear wall with a door and window and made it into a habitable room.

I'm not keen on digging up floors etc. I was really looking for the best solution to 'cover-it-up' if you like...

Sponsored Links
I wonder what the source of water is?

If you dig a small hole in the garden, isd the water-table high?

Could it be rainwater discharge or overflowing gutters?

Can you rule out a plumbing leak? It might be in the neighbour's property. The floor would be wet if you covered it over with plastic sheet to prevent evaporation.

Covering up water will not make it go away, as you have already found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back