How do I remove a ceiling pull switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've searched the forum but can't find the specific information to answer my question, any advice would be appreciated.

In the bedroom we have one pendant light controlled by two switches. One is a standard rocker switch on the wall which I want to leave alone. The other is a pull cord attached to the ceiling which I want to remove completely - presumably it was over the bed in the days before central heating or bedside lamps!

Anyway, can I remove the pull switch by connecting the wires together with blocks and pushing into the ceiling void before plastering the hole? If so, which wires do I join?

I've drawn what goes where and not disconnected anything yet! I've got 2 cables: 1 = red and earth, 1 = red and black and earth. There are three 'holes' in the switch with the two reds going in the 'holes' opposite each other and the black going into the 'hole' next to the red from the same wire.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
connect the reds together, leave the black on its own, connect the earths together. Use a junction box in the loft.

Fantastic, many thanks for the quick reply!

UPDATE: Job done, no shocks and everything still works! Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back