Pull switch removal

That's what I have done yes.
In that case it's less straightforward than we thought/hoped, so I somewhat doubt that we are going to be work out, 'at a distance', exactly what is going on, let alone be able to advise you what to do. It would probably be easy enough for any of us were we 'there', but we're not!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think we may have been a bit thick here.

Why not just fit the pull switch in the loft, wired like it is?

Or, with the power off, do a simple continuity test at the pull switch to see which of the three terminals are 'shorted', and join those wires together in a 20 amp junction box (above the ceiling), the remaining wire in another terminal, the earths together in another terminal.

AND then tidy up the wall switch. 20mm rubber grommets round those holes in the back box, an earth connection to what looks like a metal switch faceplate.

Last edited:
I think we may have been a bit thick here. ... Why not just fit the pull switch in the loft, wired like it is?
Well, I did suggest that the only solution we were likely to be able to offer (without a full understanding of the wiring) would probably be to 'emulate' the pull switch with an MF JB and push it above the ceiling - but, as you say, there is probably access above, anyway, so it would probably be even easier. However, whilst that approach would 'work', I would not really regard it as very 'nice' (leaving poorly understood wiring terminated in a JB which one then 'forgot'!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think I might just go down that path. John what does MF mean?
"Maintenance-Free" - which is what you would have used if you had 'pushed the junction box through a hole in the ceiling and then lost access to it. However, if it is to remain accessible via the loft space above, you could use an ordinary junction box - just connect the wires in the same way that you initially did into your connector block.

Kind Regards, John

Connect the black to one of the reds in the jb
Put the other red in a separate bit of the jb
Connect the two earth wires together in another separate bit of the jb

I will label the junction box up to say it is the light pull wiring.

Nik

Connect the black to one of the reds in the jb ... Put the other red in a separate bit of the jb ... Connect the two earth wires together in another separate bit of the jb ... I will label the junction box up to say it is the light pull wiring.
Indeed - but, as you discovered, it is important to put the right red in with the black.

Kind Regards, John

I put permanent marker on the wire when I first did it :=)

Many thanks for your help John and all the other guys that have left comments.

Much appreciated

Nik

Ban-all-sheds

Thank you for your comment but kindly refrain from making any comment not relating to my question from my thread.

Kind regards

Nik

Thank you for your polite request, but kindly realise that you do not have any right to prevent people here from commenting on, supporting, criticising or challenging what others say here.

Some people may not be as skilled in particular area's as yourself, but I think the key word is patience. Be patient with the people who are trying to grasp what very skilled people are trying to advice them on. I have no objection to people jumping in on posts but it would be nice if they offered their expertise in such subjects instead of saying something like "Someone clueless." Pointless really I'm sure you could have made better use of your time.

On that note I would just like to say once again thanks to the guys who have helped me out on this post much appreciated

Kind regards
Nik

Some people may not be as skilled in particular area's as yourself, but I think the key word is patience.
BAS is certainly very knowledgeable (and quite probably 'skilled') in relation to electrical matters, but it is probably appropriate that you know that (just as is the case with myself), he is not an electrician.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back