How do I remove and replace my window for a new sofa?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ordered a new sofa and have visions of it not fitting through my door!
How do I remove my UPVC window and replace it afterwards?
It is beaded externally and is a very large panel!

I'm afraid of damaging it.... is it something we can do ourselves or do we need to get someone in? (how much would that cost?)

Sponsored Links
Its easy take out the edging strip that holding the glass in, use a wallpaper stripper or putty knife to get into the joint between edging strip and the main frame remove glass carefully do not bang it or put it down to hard or it will shatter rest it on a couple of pieces of wood note where the packing pieces are or mark with felt tip on the frame if you cant remember take a picture with phone or camera.

take one strip out and refit for practice before the day that way you will know how on the day itself, good luck much easy with bigger windows if there are two of you to remove and replace the glass

assuming your doors are standard 6'6"x2'6" its very unlikly that it wont fit unless the maufacturers state special size requirements!!!!!

commercialy its suacide to make a bit off furniture that you can't sell to the mass market.

i would bet its around 6'3" long and the measurement from where the arms meet the back to the back legs/feet/corner is around 2' ir with feet/legs removed it is

Sponsored Links
Thank you SO much Breezer for you words of wisdom.... I will sleep so much better tonight!
I always thought forums were there to offer friendly advise.

Thank you SO much Breezer for you words of wisdom.... I will sleep so much better tonight!

How about measuring the sofa with a tape measure? Or even better, measure it before you buy it. Now thats what I call words of wisdom! :rolleyes:

I had this problem. Sofa arrived, wouldn't go through the door. I rang a window man and they took the pane out for about £20 iirc. It actually much easier than trying to get it through the door!

Do they still sell externally beaded PVC windows? I thought they were like leaving a door open for the burglars.

He's right though ;)

More or less the sealed unit will be double sided taped in to the inner part, so even if you get the beading off you'll have to throw a fat man at the glass from the inside to get the unit out. :)

Do some homework with your measurements first. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back