How do I repair this?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please advise me on how I repair this please? I'm a bit clueless with DIY so not sure where to start! Hope I've posted in the right area.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1497808204411-520718282.jpg
    1497808204411-520718282.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 193
Sponsored Links
Has someone just bodged the hole up with a felt triangle and timber laths in the past?
For sure, the gutter end that we can see there is up to no good!
John :)

What does the other side look like?

It is a bit of a bodged extension (even I can tell that!) Inside it has a plasterboarded wall which has been skimmed with plaster. There are no signs of leaking. The inside of the extension used to have a drainpipe running down the corner which I think used to link to the exterior guttering. I think (not certain!) We got a builder to remove the interior pipe and seal the hole when we first moved in 6 years ago. Ive lived with the exterior mess since.

Sponsored Links
Has someone just bodged the hole up with a felt triangle and timber laths in the past?
For sure, the gutter end that we can see there is up to no good!

I think that is exactly what was done. Now you remind me, it used to have some sort of Hessian like material over the triangle.

How substantial a job do you want doing?
As it is, birds and rodents can gain access.

How substantial a job do you want doing?
As it is, birds and rodents can gain access.
Not honestly sure. Long term plan is to knock down and replace but not for a few years. I guess short term I'd like a low cost cosmetic repair that it sealed against furry friends.

Then make an accurate template of the triangle, cut and pre-paint (all over) a piece of 18mm or heavier ply, and screw into position.

As it is a horrible mess but quite a small area, I really don't mind having a go at a repair - I figure I can't make it look any worse!

Then make an accurate template of the triangle, cut and pre-paint (all over) a piece of 18mm or heavier ply, and screw into position.
How long do you think I could get away with that for?

A plywood triangle, as suggested, and treated on both sides will last a long time. Your task is to prevent rain getting into the end grain of the timber. If you don't, the ply will delaminate after a while.
The hessian you mention could have come from some old roofing under felt .
So, remove those thin laths, and hopefully this will expose some sound timber behind. Fix the ply patch with screws, filling the hole countersink afterwards. You'll notice the soaker beneath the tiles has broken.....it's probably ok to run a bead of silicone in there, just to keep the water out.
Sadolin exterior wood treatment is an excellent product to protect the patch - it's brown of course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back