How do I sand a parquet floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a beautiful but very tired oak, herringbone-style parquet floor which is in desparate need of some major sanding. I've followed lots of threads but to no avail.... Any suggestions on the type of sander, grade of paper etc would be gratefully received as I'm terrified of ruining the floor (I've put some lovely gouges in my other floorboards with a drum sander...). Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Hi VickyB, welcome

Read this for starters (talks about proper sander and recommended company for hire)
Our own website is down at the moment, so can't redirect you at the moment (would have saved me some typing ;), but start with grit 40, then 80 (collect sand-dust to mix with wood-filler). Fill any gaps with the mix ('plaster' the whole floor) and sand with grid 120. If you want to apply an oil (HardWaxOil) then grid 120 is fine, if you want to lacquer/varnish the floor you have to sand a fourth time with grit 140-150.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back