How do i take down this brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As you look at the picture below, i need to take out the brick wall (including the end part) up to where the 4th tree stump is. I am then removing the stumps so i can extend the width of my driveway.

What is the best way to take down the wall? Bare in mind the whole wall isnt coming down. Is it best to take the bricks off one by one?

How would i do this? Is there a special chisel i can use?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If you have not got a disc cutter, drill a series of holes through the vertical mortar courses. Then take a hammer and chisel to the unwanted bit. Knock the bricks off by putting the chisel into a horizontal mortar course and hitting it AWAY from the wanted bit.

How are you going to "finish" off the wall? if you are going to have another pier made, leave the bricks stepping in/out so they can be bonded into the new pier.

If you were going to leave a cut edge then you have to use a disc cutter to cut off the bricks sticking out. For a rough job you can drill holes vertically where the brick sticks out, then give it a smack with a bolster chisel, this will break of the brick roughly at the right place, but the cut edge will be rough.

Frank

If you have not got a disc cutter, drill a series of holes through the vertical mortar courses. Then take a hammer and chisel to the unwanted bit. Knock the bricks off by putting the chisel into a horizontal mortar course and hitting it AWAY from the wanted bit.

How are you going to "finish" off the wall? if you are going to have another pier made, leave the bricks stepping in/out so they can be bonded into the new pier.

If you were going to leave a cut edge then you have to use a disc cutter to cut off the bricks sticking out. For a rough job you can drill holes vertically where the brick sticks out, then give it a smack with a bolster chisel, this will break of the brick roughly at the right place, but the cut edge will be rough.

Frank

Thanks for your help Frank.

Can i use a general chisel (i have got a metal - multipurpose chisel in my shed) or do i need a specific chisel for the job?

With th end, i will most likely be putting a timber post in, to attach a fence, so it doesnt need to be a 100% clan cut finish.

How do i get the concrete 'cap' off the tall brick wall that you can see in the picture i uploaded?

Cheers again

Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back