How do I take out bath taps?

JtB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm getting water leaking under the far side bath tap (photo below) and dripping through the hole onto the floor. Can anyone please tell me how to get a spanner into the narrow gap between the bath and the wall so that I can take out the taps and re-seal the hole?
Thanks.
Tap.jpg

Sponsored Links
thanks breezer. Are there different types and sizes of tap spanner, or does one type/size fit all?

What you need is a basin spanner which is a chrome tube shaped tool with a wrench at the top which swings to the left or right depending on whether you are tightening or loosing nuts.
Cost £4-5
Hope my description is good enough :oops:

Sponsored Links
Careful here, my basin spanner only fits 1/2" not 3/4". Can you get one that fits both?

BAHCO said:
basin spanner which is a chrome tube shaped tool with a wrench at the top which swings to the left or right
Thanks, I'll check the local DIY store tomorrow. Looking at my taps though, there doesn't seem much space between the bath and the wall to be able to swing anything to the left or right. :confused:

You may have noticed that plumbing fixtures are mostly designed by double jointed gynocologists or total tw**ts, take your pick.

How do I turn off the water to the hot taps? :oops: In my airing cupboard there's loads of valves and I found the one that feeds from the header tank to the cold taps, but I couldn't find one that feeds from the top of the hot water cylinder to the hot taps. I tried shutting off the valve that feeds from the header tank to the bottom of the hot water cylinder, but the hot taps continue to run. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks - does it normally take long to drain? I left a hot bathroom tap on for several minutes and it didn't stop. I had assumed that since the hot water feed from the cylinder emerged from the top of the cylinder, then as soon as the supply to the cylinder was cut, then the water would stop without the cylinder having to drain.

Might be an idea to put in a isolated valve on the hot side for the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back