How do I trim this hand rail in place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We replaced our banister but the new hand rail is wider and now fingers can’t fit between it and the ceiling/floor at the top. As a result my aging mum has nothing to hold on to.
Is there a tool or technique to take 1/2 inch off the side of the hand rail so close to the wall?
Thanks all

Attachments

• iOS Image - 2555063990.jpg
    iOS Image - 2555063990.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 189
  • iOS Image - 453707045.jpg
    iOS Image - 453707045.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to remove it, use a router to remove a section then repaint and refit.

Router.
A good diyer would've thought of this problem before buying a different size handrail, but it happens to the best.

Is the wall a solid one or studwork?
Someone could cut that handrail using a tracksaw, widening the gap but it would be messy, and need hand work as well.
Short of removing the whole thing, the easiest is to add either a second slim handrail parallel with the first, possibly using the spindles as support (I've done this) or a second slim handrail screwed to the wall but slightly higher than the existing one (so a "step" )
Another option could be a cord/rope running along the wall above the bad part.

Sponsored Links
Router.
A good diyer would've thought of this problem before buying a different size handrail, but it happens to the best.
Just realised this is not an easy handrail on wall brackets.
Well, that's quite a problem as no router will fit that close to the wall.
Multitool might work but you need a very steady hand.
Who fitted this?

Cut it at the top of the stairs where it meets the newel post, pull it away from the wall enough to get your hand in then re-attach it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back