How do I un-fudge my storage heater removal attempt? (*solved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just messed up and removed a storage heater from my living room wall and also disconnected the wires and only realised it’s more complicated than disconnecting regular wall heaters.
So it would be helpful if someone could give some advice of the best way to un-fudge my situation.

When I moved into my new place, I decorated the living room and in that process, I removed a regular (non-storage) heater from one wall. That one was wired in rather than plugged in and I turned off the mains, unscrewed the face plate and disconnected the wires before screwing the face plate back on. I then put that heater into a cupboard and painted over the wall as I don’t need the extra heat.

Today I thought I could do the same with the storage heater on the other wall. At first all went well apart from the thing practically crushing me to death after I unscrewed it from the wall brackets. Anyway, I lay it on the ground then unscrewed the brackets so I could paint the wall and the plan was to move the storage heater to a cupboard also.
So I again turned off the mains and removed the faceplate and disconnected the heater. I then put Gorilla tape over the tips of the three wires that came out of the wall and screwed the face plate back onto the wall.
When I turned the mains back on, the apartment seemed fine, but the galley kitchen on the other side of the wall that previously held the storage heater had some appliances that were no longer getting power. The Fridge, microwave, kettle and oven don’t have any power but the hob does.

Like an idiot, I Googled ‘removing storage heaters’ after rather than before I did it. And the warning against doing so was very easy to find. As was the information about the expertise and cost of doing so.

What is my best way forward from where I am now? I guess I could have a friend help me to hoist the storage heater back onto the wall and wire it back in but is there a way I can leave it off and still put it in storage and get the electricity back to my appliances?
I’m not even on an economy 7 plan so if possible, I’d still like to put the storage heater in, well, storage but the electrical work is gong to cost a lot then perhaps I should just put it back on the wall.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20211115_020230052.jpg
    PXL_20211115_020230052.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
A picture of the electrics would be more useful than a picture of the storage heater in the middle of the room. Sounds like you may have disconnected part of the ring.

May be one for the electrical forum??

If things in the kitchen are no longer working then, as suggested, it sounds like the ring main connections have been interrupted but TBH the storage heater shouldn't be wired in such a way where just disconnecting that breaks the ring circuit. Sounds like the mains wires have inadvertently been disconnected in the wall socket when disconnecting the heater.

I think you are right and I should put this in the electrical section.

Sponsored Links
Actually I just had to rewire the wall wires into the faceplate and it must have re-completed the circuit as everything is working fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back