Cold water storage cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My house has an old cold water storage cistern in the loft that appears to be made from steel. Its in pretty poor shape and looking inside it you wouldn't want to drink any water out of it!

My question is do I really need to replace it or could I simply get rid of it? The only plumbing that seems to work off it is the electric hot water heater. All the cold water appliances seem to run straight off the rising main so I cant see why, logically the hot water heater couldn't also be fed straight off the rising main and the storage tank disposed of.

Obviously, Im no plumber so I thought I best get some advice before I change/dispose of the cistern.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

Sponsored Links
Your hot water cylinder must be fed from a tank. If you feed it directly from the mains it would probably burst and flood your house, which you wouldn't want, would you. ;)

Thanks! Would rather the hot water tank didn't flood ;)

Is the cold water cistern only required for the electric water tank then?

I ask because the electric water heater / tank is going in a couple of weeks. I have a guy installing a combi boiler and rads. Once those are installed the water heater will be removed so I assume I could then quite safely get rid of the tank, yes?

Thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back