How do these new fangled toilets work then?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I think this is the right place to ask but if it isn't, I'm sure a Mod will be kind enough to shift it.
Our problem lies in the fact that we had a new bathroom fitted about 4 years ago. It's one of these "Wet room" jobbies with a walk-in shower but no bath. All has gone well until now but a minor problem has developed. The cistern above the toilet takes forever and a day to fill up as opposed to the 3 or 4 minutes that it used to take. Now, in the olden days you would just lift the lid off, check the float and do a few other things and you were sorted but this one has me beat (I am not a plumber) to get the lid off, you need to unscrew a bezel type of thing that surrounds the actual "Push to flush" button which sits on top of the lid. Once you do that you can see 2 main "lumps" of stuff. I'm guessing that the one on the left tells the water to stop coming in and the one on the right actually lets the water in. It is a totally different system to the old version with a float on an arm.
Anyway, at the front of the right hand section there is a very fine spray of water leaving what looks like some kind of valve and this is the water that fills the tank. My thinking is that this should be an in-pouring of water much as you would get by turning on a tap, rather than a fine spray.
But here's the deal.
We are both OAPs with not a lot of spare cash kicking around and I would hate to call in a plumber for him/her to just turn a screw and give me a bill for £75.
So, any ideas what's wrong with it and how to fix it?
Many thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
The push button (or two half push buttons) need to be "flicked" up and pulled out. They will probably have a little slot in their side that allows a small screwdriver tip to lever them upwards.
Once removed, there will be a screw visible that holds the cistern lid on via the bezel.
After the lid is removed, the flushing mechanism and entry valve mechanism will be visible.
The central unit is the flush mechanism and the other the entry valve.
Identify the make as they do differ and google the particular brand.
Ask again if it is not then obvious how to adjust.

Interesting, I'm also having an issue with what I assume is a similar loo, in that the cistern is only just half filling. Do these new fangled versions allow much more control over the levels than the older versions? There's barely enough to flush properly so I assume the previous owner reduced it lots to preserve water

Stevie. When mine reduced to less than a trickle, it was caused by the fill valve being clogged up with bits of dirt etc. I stripped the valve down and cleaned it all up. Worked fine after that. Didnt take too long either.

rjm2k. Not sure if they are all the same, but mine has a float on a vertical shaft. The float can be moved up and down the shaft to adjust the water level in the cistern. Very easy to do.

Sponsored Links
i would start by isolating the water supply to the cistern and then taking out the membrane on the inlet valve (where the mist of water is coming from).

get a torch and look for a manufacturers name or model number on the valve and we can take it from there as to how to get at the membrane and clear any crud out of it.

any chance of a picture?

Probably a blockage as mentioned above, very common. Strip it down and clean it out.

Is your float on a threaded bolt? Twist that to move it up and down, moving it up will increase the amount of water in the cistern.

Is your float on a threaded bolt but doesn't twist? It should be threaded through a little plastic nut, spin the nut which should move the float up and down.

Sometimes there is a filter installed in the bottom of the float valve (were the cold feed connects) this may also be the cause of a blockage.

Do you have an isolation valve on the cold feed connecting to the toilet? Make sure it is fully open if you do.

Hi again guys,
Before I get the spanners and screwdrivers out, here are some pix showing the internals of the cistern.
This first one shows what is in the middle of the lid. The outer ring is unscrewed to allow the lid to come off. I have no idea what the small, chromed bit in the middle of the bigger button is for. Inside the lid, the plunger screw is connected to the top of the bit that controls the level of water in the cistern.
plunger.jpg

This second one shows what is inside the cistern.
inside01.jpg

The last one shows the inside of the cistern just after a flush and, hopefully, where the water spray is coming from.
inside02.jpg

I can't stress just how much I appreciate all the help that you guys are trying to give.
Cheers,
Steve

I have no idea what the small, chromed bit in the middle of the bigger button is for.

that's the number 1 flush, as opposed to the number 2 flush, when you press that one it restricts how far the bigger one goes down and uses less water.

Turn off the incoming water supply. The large knurled plastic nut on the entry valve can be undone and underneath is a washer diaphragm.
Remove and clean all the plastic parts then reassemble.

rjm ... Thank you very much.
That's one mystery solved, lol

Tony W ... I should have said that I am not a plumber and when folk say things like "Turn off the incoming water supply", my eyes glaze over a bit. I know that you mean well and are trying to help and I feel guilty saying this but if you had said "Turn off the incoming water supply at the mains" or "Turn off the incoming water supply to the cistern" I'd know where to start looking for a tap.

If there's something like this
ae235
or this
ae235
going into the loo then you can use a flat headed screwdriver to turn the screw and isolate the water, if not you may have to do it at the main stopcock.

that looks a lot like a Siamp inlet valve. you may find that the plastic silicone membrane is damaged - i would replace it if you have having problems with filling.
some of the larger b&q stores are stocking the siamp inlet membrane else it is internet unless there is a very good independent merchant in your area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back