toilet cistern float valve not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've got a new-ish cistern with a double button on top for small or large flush. (Eventually I figured out how to get lid off - you press the small flush button then you can lever t'other one out then remove small one and there's a screw) Anyway the refill doesn't work. There is a float like an upside-down ice-cream cone which pushes a lever against a valve. This is held by a screw-fitting ring. If you do the ring up tightly the valve shuts when the water level comes up, but the refill rate is very very slow. A bit looser with the ring and it fills quicker but the valve doesn't get shut off by the float/water level. It's not really useable 'cos the fill rate is so low the water just leaks past the bell and into the pan - I guess it relies on a bit of pressure to seal it. (Got another toilet!) I would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks in advance. - Terry.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a Torbeck valve.....these come with a couple of pressure reducers in the kit, which you fit according to your incoming mains pressure...or you could try fitting a new Torbeck washer and see what that does. :)

Burnerman, ah, I typed in "torbeck" on web - it is a torbeck, bottom fill.

Sponsored Links
Thats the one, 4 posts up from the bottom of the page. The pressure reducing spirals go in the end where the water supply connects. Maybe yours has the highest pressure one installed, if its never been much good. The washer (special Torbeck one with a little pip on the end) is easy to get to, under the large plastic nut - but it is fragile. John :)

Sorry just gone and had another look - it's not blue/white, it's all white, similar but has a bit sticking backwards on the opposite side from the float, with a screw cap on the end. Probably still a Torbeck or variant. I ain't got any bits as I didn't fit it. I'll see if I can get a new washer as you suggest, maybe remove the valve part of it and take it with me to a plumbing shop. I could replace the whole thing I suppose, but I don't want to mess about with the bit where it enters the cistern if I can avoid it in case of leaks. Thanks for your help, it'll be a day or two before I can get to shop, I'll post what happens. - Terry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back