How do you cut a pre-stressed lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to cut a prestressed concrete lintel? I have an Angle grinder which I've never used before, i'm going to buy concrete lintels and need to cut them to size, Any tips? is the reinforcement bar going to damage the masonry cutting blade? do I need to use two different blades?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just waz through it with the masonry fella.

Make sure the lintel is supported correctly when cutting. If there is a void beneath the cutting zone, that allows the lintel to drop right where you are cutting, it will snatch the blade.

Viciously. :eek:

When you say angle grinder, what size is it? Unless it’s a big brastard, it going to be hard work; I would consider hiring a MF petrol disc cutter, preferably with a diamond disk but a masonry disc will get through it.

But please be very careful, they are frighteningly brutal bits of kit. Whilst in for a routine op a couple of years ago a guy in the bed next to me had all but sliced off his foot with one whilst cutting fence posts! :( & the guy in the bed the other side had kneecapped himself with a chainsaw :eek:

Seemed like a bad omen at the time & couldn’t wait to get out of there! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Norfolk eh? :LOL:
You know how to hurt don’t you; :cry: I’m strictly an incomer being London born & Essex bred but I wouldn’t swap it now ;) . The guy with ½ a foot was Suffolk but the guy with no knee cap was actually quiet a toff, by accent at least; probably an over enthusiastic incomer. We are quiet rural here (real farm next door) & most of our near neighbors & best friends are now locals, both Norfolk & Suffolk so we know all the jokes :LOL: ; but you could not wish for better folks. Next door are also incomers like us but, strangely, are the only ones we don’t seem to get on with very well; but they are, of course, much better than us & it goes without saying, the locals ;)

there are no yokels these days,theyre all bloody londoners or polish :LOL: :LOL:

What is the best way to cut a prestressed concrete lintel?

Surely if pre-stressed you cannot cut it, don't pre-stressed lintels have tension in the re-enforcing bars and if you cut the end off you may lose the tension ? ? ? ?

Surely if pre-stressed you cannot cut it, don't pre-stressed lintels have tension in the re-enforcing bars and if you cut the end off you may lose the tension ? ? ? ?
No, you can cut them; the steel reinforcing bars either have serrations in them or look a bit like aniseed twist so they grip inside the concrete not just between the ends, cutting the end off makes no difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back