Floor tile cutting dilemma

Dit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make small curved and straight cuts in floor tiles to make them fit the bathroom doorway and bath edge. I tried with a (cheap) tungsten carbide blade which fits my jigsaw; used water to keep it cool but took way too long to make any headway, the jigsaw marked the tile and finished off breaking it!

Is there a diamond jigsaw blade? My friend once made cuts using an angle grinder but the cuts are too detailed for this. Do I have to take my tiles to the shop to be cut? :(

Sponsored Links
I'm sure Joe's read about one somewhere - maybe he'll be along soon to tell you about reading the back of a packet of blades. Of course, he won't have used one though. :rolleyes:
Get a decent diamond blade for an angle grinder (a cheap angle grinder will do, but get a decent blade) and make the cuts with that - you can do 99% of all your cuts with this setup.

As Gcol says a grinder & diamond disc will do it. IF you don't have a grinder then it may work out cheaper to buy a dasic electric tile cutter to do all the straight bits and a pair of nibblers to finish the curves.

Jason

Jasonb said:
As Gcol says a grinder & diamond disc will do it. IF you don't have a grinder then it may work out cheaper to buy a dasic electric tile cutter to do all the straight bits and a pair of nibblers to finish the curves.

Jason

Go to your local hire shop, A days hire is reasonable & you will get a good machine

Sponsored Links
Thank you people! I will get the diamond disc.My nibblers don't give a nice vertical edge to the cut, but those edges will be covered with silicone anyway.

you can get small circular tile files for finishing the curved edges off with

After finishing my kitchen refit the only thing left to do was the tiling which would involve some intricate cuts... so I used a grinder with diamond disc for the main cuts and a dremmel for the fiddly bits.

It was quite easy using this method to get tiles to fit perfectly around pelmets and sockets etc.

Thermo said:
you can get small circular tile files for finishing the curved edges off with

I agree with Thermo. You can get diamond/saphire impregnated ones with a radius that goes from flat to semi-circular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back