How do you find out if someone has been convicted?

Well am I within the law to ask the Agent to see a copy of the checks he did on the tenant - albeit these were done a few years back.
Stick to the issue and keep it simple.
Breach of contract or no breach of contract? If none then you wait until the AST is up and evict under sec 21. If the rent slips another 2 weeks then use sec 8.

However, yes you can ask the agent - he is your agent after all - i.e. he does things on your behalf.

Sponsored Links
The Agent believes that the guy has been convicted of some drugs offence

You have to be caught with a fair sized stash to get a prison sentence, so I guess he has been doing more than selling a bit of skunk to his mates.

Unfortunately drugs are rife these days, including coke, Ketamin etc.

Stick to the issue and keep it simple.
Breach of contract or no breach of contract? If none then you wait until the AST is up and evict under sec 21. If the rent slips another 2 weeks then use sec 8.

However, yes you can ask the agent - he is your agent after all - i.e. he does things on your behalf.

Thanks. I am going to leave it another few weeks. I doubt I find out what he went down for. Ive told the Agent to go and inspect the property as his last inspection was over a year ago! Otherwise I am just going to sit tight.

Are you paying for full management? You might also want to read the AST. Personally, I find agents write a load of unenforceable b***ox in ASTs and leave out the important bits.

Purely out of interest, what crimes would you consider 'evictable offences' and which ones not?

Any conducted from the property or that breach tenants obligations (or the landlords its a lease hold).

It would be a reasonably solid implied term that carrying out illegal acts on the property is a breach of contract.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you paying for full management? You might also want to read the AST. Personally, I find agents write a load of unenforceable b***ox in ASTs and leave out the important bits.

I assume so I get charged 10% and he deals with payment, sorting out any small issues with repairs, visiting the property! etc

10% doesn't sound like fully managed, but it could be a good deal. Or not if he's not actually carrying out any checks.

Ask who? The tenant? The letting Agent asked the wife why the delay in payment and she mentioned to him her husband is in prison but hes not in for long. The Agent believes that the guy has been convicted of some drugs offence - but this is

You're paying for a fully managed service so the agent should advise you on what to do if they are willing to make a slapstick comment about an alleged drug offence like it's something to joke about.

Letting agents go on courses to cover this stuff and are best placed to advise, take it up with them. If they are not offering you any peace of mind whatsoever then ask a landlords association and find another agent, otherwise what are you paying for ? Nobody here is clued up enough on letting law which changes almost yearly anyway. Have you actually bothered to read your own tenancy agreement ? I bet you haven't ?

Sponsored Links
Back