BTL - rent arrears question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a BTL and the tenant hasn't been great re paying rent recently. I've been refreshing my memory around the eviction process (just in case) however the tenancy agreement wording seems to slightly conflict with Scottish Government wording, unless I'm misinterpreting. Can you have a read of the following (especially bits in bold) and tell me how you'd interpret this.

Tenancy Agreement wording
The tenant is in rent arrears (this ground is mandatory if, for three or more months, the tenant has been continuously in arrears of rent and on the day the tribunal considers the case, the arrears are at least one months rent. This ground is discretionary if the tenant has been in arrears of rent for three or more months, and on the first day of the tribunal, the arrears are less than one months rent ...

(To me the above reads as follows. If the monthly rent is £500 and the arrears after three months are £500 or more, the eviction ground is mandatory.)

Scottish Government wording
3 months' rent arrears - (2 weeks' notice)

If you have three months or more of rent arrears (unpaid rent), your landlord can ask the Tribunal to evict you. If you still have three months of arrears on the day you go to court, the Tribunal automatically has to order to have you evicted, unless you can prove that the debt is due to a delay in your housing benefit being paid.

If you can reduce your rent arrears to less than three months by the time you go to the Tribunal, it does not have to evict you and can decide not to if they think you're trying to clear the debt.

(To me the above reads as follows. If the monthly rent is £500, the tribunal will consider mandatory eviction if the arrears amount equals three full months i.e. £1500 of arrears using my example.)

The tenancy (standard agreement drawn up by a large sales/letting agent) states mandatory eviction will be considered if arrears equal one months rent, the Scottish Government wording suggests arrears must equal three months rent for mandatory eviction. They're stating different criteria, no?

How do you read it?

Sponsored Links
To be honest I think the best advice I can give you is join the NRLA. They have a very helpful helpdesk, documents and forum.

A good example why it pays to have a decent LA along with insurance for situations like this. Hopefully you'd never need to use the LA/Insurance but when things start to go wrong, one is already stressed so it massively helps.

One of my family had a problem with a T years ago - the couple paid their rent on time kept the property in pretty good condition but the member of my family wanted to sell up - the people had been their about 5 years and were given loads of notice - the LA and insurance took the strain and they were out asap as it can be once the eviction process started and my family member did not have to lift a finger.

A good example why it pays to have a decent LA along with insurance for situations like this. Hopefully you'd never need to use the LA/Insurance but when things start to go wrong, one is already stressed so it massively helps.

One of my family had a problem with a T years ago - the couple paid their rent on time kept the property in pretty good condition but the member of my family wanted to sell up - the people had been their about 5 years and were given loads of notice - the LA and insurance took the strain and they were out asap as it can be once the eviction process started and my family member did not have to lift a finger.
The father of a guy I worked with let out his property for several years while he was living abroad. He decided he wanted to return to the UK so he told the tenants he was moving back and they would need to find alternative accommodation, giving them the best part of a year in advance warning. The tenants went to the council, and the council told them not to move out at the end of the lease.

Sponsored Links
The father of a guy I worked with let out his property for several years while he was living abroad. He decided he wanted to return to the UK so he told the tenants he was moving back and they would need to find alternative accommodation, giving them the best part of a year in advance warning. The tenants went to the council, and the council told them not to move out at the end of the lease.
I guess after several years the tenants had 'established' themselves there. I'm also guessing the council don't want another homeless headache. It'd be simpler for your mate to use the rent money to buy another gaff.

Therefore an eviction is required via legal route otherwise they'd be making themselves homeless. As people's work circumstances/health etc can change, imo always good practice to get a good, well established LA on a fully managed basis inc insurance. So things go wrong. you are often covered for some rent as well as the eviction and LA oversees whilst you can rest estc.

Yep, otherwise they're making themselves voluntarily homeless and the council stick them to the back of the queue, or won't help at all. The rules are stupid.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies. I've been able to get this clarified. It's arrears equating to 1 x months rent that will lean any tribunal towards mandatory eviction, although the use of discretionary tactics is increasing partly due to covid etc.

That was exactly what happened to me coming home from Australia... And she told me this. Luckily she was a decent person

worse than that some councils are telling them not to move till evicted by correct process

The tenants went to the council, and the council told them not to move out at the end of the lease.

I once had to evict a 72yr old widow. After her hubby passed away there was no way she could afford or manage to keep on renting the property. She went to the council asking to be rehoused & they told her to stay put & they couldn't help her until she was homeless anyway. So we had to go through the pathetic exercise of legally evicting her c/w rent arrears.

I once had to evict a 72yr old widow. After her hubby passed away there was no way she could afford or manage to keep on renting the property. She went to the council asking to be rehoused & they told her to stay put & they couldn't help her until she was homeless anyway. So we had to go through the pathetic exercise of legally evicting her c/w rent arrears.

Let's be clear.

It is NOT "a pathetic exercise" fact!!

We see this kind of thing on tv Baliff programmes.

This route of eviction is important and this is why.

If every Dick, Tom and Harrys wanted a council property as many feel it is their right to get a free, reduced rent property from the taxpayers, all they would do is rent privately for a month/weeks or two and then mess around and get evicted and jump the queue for taxpayer-funded homes.

Me and the family only rent to working professionals but as I said things can go wrong and be very stressful and some LL could even lose everything as it can easily take 7 months+ at times to get people. During that time and time leading up to it most T's will not be paying their rent and LL not paying his mortgage bills etc and getting into debt.

Therefore, seek out an established, good LA and have your property fuully managed and insured for rent and eviction.

Thanks

Horrible man

Sponsored Links
Back