Tenants done a runner / Bailiffs Chasing them

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law sure knows how to pick em ! Did a google search on the tenant who we haven't seen for a while. MEEC is the company that he is/was CEO of.

Type the following in to google:

"ernest khosa meec"

Mmm, he may have other things on his mind at the moment.

Sponsored Links
He should have known that things weren't going so well when he had to move into a Student flat in Manchester.......

Wonder if this is was some sort of gag - Bit like me renting a bedsit in Johannesburg as Lord Lucan ??

Hi,

Don't know if anyone has suggested this already but you need to contact http://www.shelter.org.uk

I know this organisation give free legal advise to tenants and I assume landlords also.

If they havn't been in the property for more than 30days I would assume they have broken your letting contract by now anyway.

Also, don't count me on this. I think you can enter the property if your tenant fails to reply to previous letters asking for permission to enter the property as long as you send the last letter giving 24hrs notice. I think that is what my estate agent did to my tenants when they wouldn't reply to his attempts at contact (all was ok in the end).

Taz999:

As another landlord, lemme give you some advice on what you SHOULD be doing from now on:

1. When new phone books come out in your area, don't chuck the old ones. Keep a copy of the old phone book so that you can have all of the phone books in your area accumulated for the past dozen years or so.

That way, when a prospective tenant applies for rent, and tells you where they've been living for the past 4 or 5 years, you can check to see if the information provided is true so that you can know if you're talking to that person's real landlord (or just a close friend claiming to be his former landlord).

2. At your local property tax assessor's office you'll be able to find out the name and address of the people the property tax bill is sent to every year, and that will normally be the registered owners of property. So, if someone gives you a former address where he was living before along with the landlord's name and phone number, pop down to the property tax assessment office and find out who the registered owners of that property are. If it's not the same as that provided on the Application for Rent form, it could be that the property has been sold, but it usually means that the applicant doesn't want you to talk to the real landlord.

3. Most people aren't aware of this, but court matters involving adults become part of the public record. That means that if your local Court has a web site with a search engine, you can search for someone's name to find out if it shows up in any court documents. In this way you can find out if a prospective tenant has had a criminal record (or has been taken to court by a former landlord).

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
taz999 said:
Their tenancy agreement runs out in just under a month's time.

Have you actually read this document yet?? Particularly as regards their position in the case of rent default.

if they still have 1 month to run, then technically you cant enter the property without their consent, however, if you check yr tenancy agreement, the tenancy agreement would have been broken with the non-payment of two months rent (but only if stated in agreement). as long as none of the bills are in yr name, you are not responsible.you would still have to go to county court to evict in reality. but if yr sure they are not coming back, i would enter the property and recover anything of value and sell on ebay to cover losses, damage etc. although this isnt really LEGAL!! good luck, having gone through something similar, these types of people normally have a long track record of this sort of thing. just do what you have to, to cover your tracks!!

++++++++++++++++
the last post was Thu Feb 23, 2006
so I am locking it now.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back