How do you fit an end panel by a washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My washing machine is the last thing on one wall, at the end of a row of cabinets. The worktop will cover all of them, and float over the washing machine. I want to put an end panel in after the washing machine to support the worktop, but I'm not sure how best to do this. I'd like a decorative panel, but space is tight and I may only be able to fit am 18mm melamine panel in.

I thought I'd secure the panel to the worktop at the top with KD fittings, and to the wall at the back. Is that all I need to do? I don't want to drill into the tiles on the floor if I can avoid it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would be stronger fixed to floor as well, but not essential, a bead of silicon along the floor inside edge would be an alternative.Fixing to rear wall on hinge is another option and would still allow it to move aside for easy access to the W/M and give strength.

Consider what will happen when the wm is pulled out at some point.

The end panel needs to be fixed at the bottom.

L brackets (or a strip of wood) on the inside - screwed to the floor would help prevent it being knocked out.

Consider what will happen when the wm is pulled out at some point.

The end panel needs to be fixed at the bottom.

L brackets (or a strip of wood) on the inside - screwed to the floor would help prevent it being knocked out.
I think he wants to be able to remove panel [if I understand correctly]

Sponsored Links
Well I wasn't really thinking of hinging it. It's only really there to hold the worktop up. Not a bad idea though. On the other side of this end panel is the fridge.

I'm open to any other ideas about how best to do this. I may use some large steel brackets to attach it to the wall.

Thanks

If you are not worried about having an end panel, you could just slip a piece of wood between the work top and the top of the washing machine. The fridge next to it would hide it anyway. The washing machine would then support the work top.

If you are not worried about having an end panel, you could just slip a piece of wood between the work top and the top of the washing machine. The fridge next to it would hide it anyway. The washing machine would then support the work top.

Until the washing machine vibration causes the timber to fall out and the worktop collapse. :rolleyes:

For what its worth B&Q designed my kitchen with the washing machine out on the end of a row of cabinets with an end panel holding up the worktop. It looked great on the plan but when I came to fit the kitchen I had the same issue you have.

In the end I fixed it by swapping the washing machine and a carcass, so that the end of the worktop was held up by a unit and not the machine and the machine was simply in a 600 wide gap (610 in the end as it makes it easier to get in and out) between units with the end panels tidying up the gap.

Hope it helps!

David.

A good tip David. Next time ;)

What I might do is use a cam & dowel method where the steel dowels are screwed into the floor between the tiles. Does anyone know if Rawl plus would suffice for that?

Thanks

I would maybe try some sort of aluminium u rail (eg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-1-Alu...00-mm-6063-T6-/400448484725?var=#vi-content). Fasten it to the floor with raw plugs then slide the panel in and drill through and screw from the inside, should hopefully leave the outside edge looking clean.

B&Q etc prob do the U rails as well, that ebay link is probably not the size you need by the way - just an example.

David.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Good thinking David!

I might do just that. Or I could even use two steel legs to hold the worktop up, since the fridge will obscure the 'end' of the row from view.

I'll have a think. Thanks again.

Until the washing machine vibration causes the timber to fall out and the worktop collapse. :rolleyes:

I get your point but the worktop 'collapsing' seems a bit extreme. I have had a piece of wood under my worktop for about twenty years and it's never moved or fallen out. The best solution is an end panel but the poster can't seem to decide.

I agree that a piece of wood between the washing machine and worktop is not the sort of answer you expect on a DIY forum. Especially one called "DIYnot".

I want to put an end panel in after the washing machine to support the worktop
just fix a batten to the wall for the worktop to stand on. You can use a couple of short screws into the worktop to add rigidity.

No panel is needed.

I agree that a piece of wood between the washing machine and worktop is not the sort of answer you expect on a DIY forum. Especially one called "DIYnot".

Hey, the answer was given in good faith. You have had several correct options given to you, but you still need to think about it? I can assure you that I do know the subject in question but you have decided to ignore the replies given. You might not agree with my answer (that's entirely up to you) but you specifically asked for more options.

A good tip when asking for advice on a forum is not to come back with smart replies. If you know best, then just do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back