Installing single cupboard into a fitted kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We've recently removed an integrated washing machine from the kitchen as we're now using a free-standing one in a utility room. We've ordered a cupboard to fill the gap from DIY Kitchens from where we got the original kitchen.

The attached photo shows two things:
  1. The gap where the washing machine was, showing a piece of wood running along underneath the front of the worktop and above the dishwasher; the dishwasher appears to be screwed into this although the washing machine wasn't. I think this bit of wood is actually a piece of side panel from the kitchen as it's high gloss.
  2. The new cupboard. The cupboard doesn't have a full top. I guess the bit that is there is mainly decorative so that when the door opens you see the same thing all round.

My questions are:
  1. I think I need to cut out that bit of wood under the worktop in order for the new cupboard to slide under?
  2. Does the cupboard take the weight of the worktop - ie I adjust the legs until the top makes contact with the worktop - although as said above the washing machine was never attached to that piece of wood and I don't think the washer quite touched it so not sure how the weight of the worktop was taken when the washer was there?
The guy who fitted the kitchen is back at the house in a few weeks to do some work in the bathroom so can wait till then if this is going to get messy! :)

Thanks all.

kitchen cupboard image small.png

Sponsored Links
Needs removal to allow new unit in, the new unit will support the top, washing machines don’t.Dishwasher needs securing to prevent movement when opening door.
Underside of top over dishwasher should have foil tape to prevent steam damage from dishwasher which can swell the worktop and destroy it.
There will now be a gap as washing machine space is wider than a replacement unit, another panel to side of dishwasher might help.(or a shallow strip as won’t be visible from front ).

Foxhole - you're a star - thank you. Will mention the fool thing. I didn't think about the extra gap left/right of the new cupboard. Wife won't be happy - took weeks for DIY Kitchens just to deliver a single cupboard! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back