Reinforcing a worktop to take the weight of a dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a limited amount of space in our kitchen and reinforced the worktop alongside the sink and draining board to put our dishwasher on top. We used three metal posts to reinforce it,screwed into brackets on the underside and into brackets screwed into the floor, but this hasn't been enough and the worktop has sagged, cracking the plastic sink in the process. : (

We're about to change the kitchen units, but will still need to put the dishwasher on top, so any suggestions as to how we can reinforce the worktop, please? There is no cabinet underneath the piece of worktop concerned, as the washing machine fits in the gap.

I don't want to install a new sink only to find it buckling again within a few months, so any ideas would be very much appreciated

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Standard worktop is strong enough without additional support and would only fail if not sealed correctly and damaged by water absorption.

I stood a dishwasher straight on top of the washing machine in one house. No problems.

Sponsored Links
My worktop has an unsupported end and what I've done is to bracket it to the wall with a couple of hi-load mitre brackets and big screws into the brick wall behind it. I'm planning to finish off with either a supporting end panel made from MDF or a spare vanity panel cupboard end, or a thin chrome steel leg - clothes rail or similar with a wood dowel or steel pipe inside to give it extra strength.

But it must be one hell of a dishwasher to break a worktop - I've often stood on mine whilst working on things and I'm no slim jim these days..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back