Wet floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a leak under our kitchen sink which has left some damage. We don't know how it's happened but all we know is that we woke one day to the cupboard being filled with water a couple months ago and another morning where there was water in front the washing machine which is adjacent to the cupboard.

It appeared the strainer under the sink was leaking so we replaced that, then noticed a slight weeping on the dishwasher feed which goes through a hole in the cupboard but this never seemed enough to cause much water.

However the backboard of the cupboard now has a watermark half way up the cupboard and mould which we've cleaned off. I've replaced the washer on the hose and the weeping has stopped. Water must have for under the vinyl/plywood as well as there was some bubbles but this has now leveled out

Last week it smelt musty so we pulled out the washing machine and the floorboards were wet and I assume this is possibly because with the washing machine in there, they couldn't dry? I put a dehumidifier in there and in the space for the washing machine, the boards are now mostly dry, just dark marks now on the edges. However I've just noticed under the cupboard their still feels some moisture and was wondering if there is a better way to dry them out?

Still confused how the backboard got such a high watermark and mould but can't find any more leaks.

Any help would be appreciated as I just want to get the kitchen back to normal

Sponsored Links
Looks like you found the leak, a slight weeping on the dishwasher feed.

Also check the water supply to the washing machine.

Andy

I think it must be. Although I was checking it daily originally and on the whole it appeared to be ok, there was sometimes a small puddle, probably size of an old 50p piece in the cupboard but assume it was running down the pipe.

We've had the washing machine out on some cardboard and used it and no leaks.

Still doesn't explain to me how the board was so wet. If the floor boards are wet from bigger leak couple months a go, don't know if I'm right in thinking that they haven't dried because the washing machine was in there and no air. And now that the machine is out, the boards have dried, but not under the cupboards because again no air in there.

Any other options other than the dehumidifier? It is pulling water out but I'm not sure if that's just general moisture and the humidity is only around 55%

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back