Fitting a washing machine in a bathroom cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a relatively small bathroom which has a large storage cupboard built in (i.e. the cupboard has breeze block walls, with plaster, tiles etc. and a door).

We want to place our washing machine in the cupboard, but it currently has no wiring (or plumbing). We are getting the bathroom refurbished and our plumber will add hot and cold water and waste feeds.

However, I am worried that the washing machine would not be safe, or would break wiring regulations.

The cupboard is more than 60cm from the bath, but one of the cupboard walls adjacent to the sink (so that if you were looking directly at the sink there is a solid wall next to it and the door to the cupboard is visible to the right of the sink).

Please could someone let me know if it is permitted to fit the washing machine?

Sponsored Links
This was sent to me from the IEE some time ago:

Provided the appliance is not portable, i.e. it is fixed or transportable, it may
be used in the bathroom as long as it is installed in zone 3 or beyond. It must
be directly wired or connected by means of a flexible cord to a fused
connection unit, a switch outlet plate or a cable outlet plate, All appliances
covered by this section need to be protected by a 30 mA R.C.D.
Note: Shavers may be used in bathrooms provided they are supplied by a
shaver unit, which is allowed to be installed in zone 2 even without an IP
rating.
Washing machines, tumble dryers, washer-dryers and other appliances rated
IPX4 may be sited in zone 2 if they cannot be reasonably sited in zone 3 or
beyond. When they are installed in zone 2, it is advisable to state the
justification on the installation certificate.

Some would advise that if directly wired or connected by means of a fused
connection unit that some Service Engineers will not work on the appliance, so please take this into account.

Salem.

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply; I had spotted this from searching previous posts. My question is really whether or not the washing machine would be in zone 3 or zone 2?

The problem I can see is that it is less than 60 cm away from the sink (in a straight line) BUT the sink and the appliance are separated by a brick wall and the cupboard door.

Is this sufficient (i.e. can the inside of the cupboard be considered zone 3?)

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure that's correct nozspark. A key classes as a 'tool' required to gain access.

I reckon it's not in the bathroom at all.. you can have sockets on the wall outside the bathroom seperated by only a door, so if it's a brick built room with a door, then it's another room..

then again that might just be my warped mind trying to find a loophole..

I mean in theory, you can put the washing machine outside the bathroom door in the hall with the pipes sticking through and the plug right next to the door so how is it any different?

I don't think there are any 'official' zones around a basin, though building regs recommend keeping the immediate 'splash' area clear of electrical stuff. I don't have my 17th edition yet, so maybe it's different now, but I'd say your cupboard is in at least zone 3, if not beyond the zones. A lock in the door would help get round any ambiguities and who's to know if you don't keep it locked. Think common sense & safety and you should be OK.

I would have said that the cupboard would be classed as a separate room, but as said before, if you put put a lock on the door to the cupboard it should help to get around any ambiguities.

I don't think there are any 'official' zones around a basin, though building regs recommend keeping the immediate 'splash' area clear of electrical stuff. I don't have my 17th edition yet, so maybe it's different now, but I'd say your cupboard is in at least zone 3, if not beyond the zones.

This is from the IEE website, & is from the full contents & Introduction to BS 7671:2008:

The following major changes are incorporated in Part 7:
Section 701 Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin:
Zone 3 is no longer defined.
Each circuit in the special location must have 30 mA RCD protection.
Supplementary bonding is no longer required providing the installation has main bonding in accordance with
Chapter 41.
This section now allows socket-outlets (other than SELV and shaver supply units to BS EN 61558-2-5) to be
installed in locations containing a bath or shower 3m horizontally beyond the boundary of zone 1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back