How do you fix a boiler to Lath and Plaster Walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much as the title says, I'm having a boiler installed on Monday onto a lath and plaster wall. I took down a kitchen unit to make way for it and noticed that the plaster has seen better days.

Is the most likely method to span a couple of studs with plywood etc? If so I think I'll need to take down another couple of units.....

How have you guys gone about doing this in the past?

Probably not too relevant but its a WB junior (pretty light in boiler terms?)

Thanks,
Ron

Sponsored Links
Nice bit of ply, which should be faced off with a fire resiistant sheet. Plasterboard is the easiest.

There should be details of how to fit the boiler to non-brick walls in the Installation Instructions so best to leave it to the installer who will probably have it sorted already.

simod have you ever seen good ply being affected by boiler if no plasterdoard/asbestolux used, corgi insist though

Sponsored Links
CORGI may insist but makers requirements over rule. Have fitted plywood panel and no fire retardant sheet as per makers advise

I haven't seen ply being affected - but I don't want to be the first to find out on one of our jobs!

Better safe than sorry. Everything should have a degree of redundancy and were the boiler to operate outside it's normal safe envelope due to a fault, I am sure the plasterboard (or similar) could avoid a nasty situation.

Older boiler did require 'fireproof' sheets. Boilers made today would not soften butter placed on the case. Would not have dreamt use of plastics for flue systems. As said before, makers stipulations overrule everybody (as mentioned in the GSIU regs)

I wouldn't like to have seen an Isar on a plywood sheet when the back burner insulation has fallen off and the flame has burnt all the way throught the external case. Come to that a Glow Worm or Vaillant when th seal had gone and burnt through the case either :eek:

On the few occasions I have had to do boiler hangs like this I always finish off with a plasterboard covering as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back