How do you fix stud wall to a single skin brick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've posted here and had many good responses so, here I am again. Thanks in advance.

I have a garage extension I am carrying out and i have been advised by building regs to put some batten on the wall (thin 25mm) then put some breather membrane over it.
once complete I can then put up my stud wall (100mm) and insert my insulation in between.
finally I can put plaster board on it, sounds simple enough

but!! and heres the problem what do I fix the stud to do I go straight through the membrane and into the wall or into the batten but it may split?

Also what type of screws/fixings do I use?

Any info would be great

thanks
hogey :eek: :confused:

Sponsored Links
You don't need to fix your stud wall to the battens. You fix it to the floor and ceiling so you are building a wall in front of your battened and membraned wall. Once fitted with noggins and insulated it can then be plasterboarded and skimmed.

I agree with DAZB, just build the wall slightly away from the garage wall. These are known as independant wall systems and can be made of timber or metal stud.
Using sole plate and header plate to attach your uprights to.
Space the uprights at every 400mm centres and put noggins in for additional support about half way up.
Give thought to any shelves, cabinets etc.. that you may be considering fitting to the wall and plan your stud work with this in mind, with maybe the addition of extra timbers in the those fixing spots.
Normally a wood screw somewhere between 80-100mm, would do for timber studs.
If it's the standard 12.5mm plasterboards these can be fitted using 32mm dry-wall screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back