Single skin garage stud - awkward area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am insulating my detached single skin garage.

I decided to build studs in between the concrete columns using 3x2, a permeable membrane on the outside and PIR insulation with a air gap between the concrete wall and the stud.

I construct them on the floor, attach the membrane then stand them up to fix.

However, I have come to an area where the garage doors are partially covering one side of the wall and the door supports are also in the way so I can't stand the stud up and into position.

I am not really sure what to do but was thinking of 3 possible approaches but wanted to get some thoughts from someone more experienced.

1. Build stud in place and attempt to wrap the membrane behind the wall. It will make it very awkward and really hard to staple.
2. Build it in 2 vertical studs and brace them at top/bottom with sole/header.
3. Build it in 2 horizontal studs.

Any help appreciated
1000013423.jpg

Sponsored Links
You don't really need a membrane on the back.
What are you doing with the electrics? If you bring them forward of the insulation they might foul the door mechanism.

Hi there,

I am insulating my detached single skin garage.

I decided to build studs in between the concrete columns using 3x2, a permeable membrane on the outside and PIR insulation with a air gap between the concrete wall and the stud.

I construct them on the floor, attach the membrane then stand them up to fix.

However, I have come to an area where the garage doors are partially covering one side of the wall and the door supports are also in the way so I can't stand the stud up and into position.

I am not really sure what to do but was thinking of 3 possible approaches but wanted to get some thoughts from someone more experienced.

1. Build stud in place and attempt to wrap the membrane behind the wall. It will make it very awkward and really hard to staple.
2. Build it in 2 vertical studs and brace them at top/bottom with sole/header.
3. Build it in 2 horizontal studs.

Any help appreciated
View attachment 323050
You'd be better off directly fixing the PIR to the wall.

You don't really need a membrane on the back.
What are you doing with the electrics? If you bring them forward of the insulation they might foul the door mechanism.
Membrane is belt and braces, there are vents there and it is very humid. I am just trying to minimise risk.

I am leaving the electrics on the wall, might bring the switch out. Was going to put a small insulated door over them for access.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of creating 2 studs either side of the electrics and bracing them with a header plate.

That way I can fit the membrane and they will then fit in the space, almost like creating a door opening.

Any thoughts? Is this daft?

You can build a stud frame however you like, but Nose's suggestion is sound.

Putting a membrane on the back won't be doing very much at all. If you are fixing timber straight to the blocks then a strip of dpc or polythene between the two might be an idea.

Do you run a tumble dryer or dry clothes in here?
When you say humid, do you mean condensation?

Is this going to be a heated space? If not, then the insulation won't do a lot.
You really need to specify what you intend to achieve and what the garage is to be used for to get useful suggestions.

You can build a stud frame however you like, but Nose's suggestion is sound.

Putting a membrane on the back won't be doing very much at all. If you are fixing timber straight to the blocks then a strip of dpc or polythene between the two might be an idea.

Do you run a tumble dryer or dry clothes in here?
When you say humid, do you mean condensation?

Is this going to be a heated space? If not, then the insulation won't do a lot.
You really need to specify what you intend to achieve and what the garage is to be used for to get useful suggestions.
Thanks for replying - I appreciate your input.

I am using it for storage so it will be kept at an ambient temperature. The humidity in the garage is very high due to weather conditions.

I have a DPC running underneath the studs.

I am asking in here as I am not experienced at building studs, I believe my concept is fine but I just don't know if I can build the studs in the way I have set out above.

Also, I have already done most of the garage in this way - it's just I can't do this area using the method I have employed due to the issues set out above.

So to be clear, I am looking for advice on how to build the stud based on the methods I have used up until now - I don't want to change the approach at this stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back