How do you legally run SFC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Most pc.s ship with recovery partitions these days and often they have no i386 folder on the c drive.

So how are you suposed to run System File Check if you dont have a full cd version of the OS.

Is it any wonder that peple download torrented versions- and is it illegal to use a full but torrented version for SFC, afterall you are not installing the software per se but you are copying over corrupted files.

Just wondering.

Sponsored Links
There is usually a method of creating recovery media where it is not provided.

I've never tried it, but it might be possible to do it using this media. There may be a need for some tweaking, and this may affect the legality.

Might be worth a punt?

Hi Igorian

It has always struck me as odd that MS don't give you a chance to create an i386 folder without resorting to using 3rd party products or illegal methods..

The whole oem thing is a minefield.

I have seen so many pcs running xp that shipped with oem but now have dodgy versions of retail because of OS failure that could not be fixed without a real cd (eg repair installs), and or unwillingness to restore back to factory default, or missing oem backups.

Sponsored Links
I agree, but then I don't use or supply bundles.

There's nothing better than a well built system, using quality components and retail versions of the software that can be imaged or reinstalled without the OEM headache.

I know not everyone can afford such luxuries, but you pay yer money...

Back