How do you mark up blockwork for first fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the first time, I am going to be first fixing onto new block walls. I've only ever done renovations before, where I could use a pencil onto painted plaster to mark out boxes and chases easily.

What do you use for marking up onto new block work (Concrete, not aircrete). Chalk doesn't seem very accurate, nor does wax marker, and a Sharpie would only last 5 minutes I think! I'm sure there is a simple way....!

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
You should be able to get a visible semi permanent line from one of the much thicker "nibbed" sharpies.

Blup

For larger new builds when I was in that game the lead Electrician used a spray on the unfinished floor and walls

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, ordered a box of chisel tipped black permanent markers.

I can see a terrible mess happening with paint, and with a pencil I'd be re-sharpening it every second box!

How about a USB-chargeable mini-airbrush. There are countless out there, this being the first hit I got on eBay ...

1678584241470.png

Kind Regards, John

I kinda don't understand the question, in the sense that I don't know why you're not just fixing the boxes right now, and you don't need chases to be supremely accurate because they're getting covered by the finish layer, but..

Hold the box on the wall, spray around the edges, take the box away; it is its own stencil

O and may as well use at least 35mm back boxes to give you more options accessory wise.

I kinda don't understand the question, in the sense that I don't know why you're not just fixing the boxes right now, and you don't need chases to be supremely accurate because they're getting covered by the finish layer, but..

Hold the box on the wall, spray around the edges, take the box away; it is its own stencil

We aren't boarding the walls, hardwall and skim. And using 35mm boxes everywhere (Deeper for USB sockets and cooker switches, I need to bury them about 15mm deep. For the chases, I just want to make sure I keep going straight, it's easy to wander off course, I've found.

For the chases, I just want to make sure I keep going straight, it's easy to wander off course, I've found.
Always, I always fit 35mm for lights, too. Never likely to regret doing so....
i regret not putting cat 6 to every accessory box in my house. Next time.

i regret not putting cat 6 to every accessory box in my house. Next time.

Yep got a laser, might try sitting it to the side or something. More used to just pencil lines though! Was going to use the laser to get every box level in the room.

When renovating 7 years ago I fitted 28 cat6 points. These will get re-arranged into the new space, and extras added. Having 4 on loose cables in the loft was easy and worth it.... now in use for WiFi, CCTV & environmental monitoring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back