crispy light connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just done a favor for my uncle and changed some light fittings in his hallway, they were "drum" style fittings, but with incandesant lamps, the new ones are very similar but with 2D energy saving lamps, anyway changed the first one, no major trouble, the earth sleeving had gone brittle due to the heat, and the new light wouldn't screw into the ceiling at first, the cavity fixings just would not get a grip, got it sorted with a bit of wood behind it, the new light even though it was energy saving came with some heat resistant cable core covers :?: , but all three bits were black :?: , managed to get some red from the old fittings, and just used normal earth sleveing on the cpc, I can't see it getting particulay hot anyway. The covering doesn't work that well anyway, because the T&E insulation on the cable was brittle and had to be cut back.

Moved onto the other light, this one was looped in, and had a cable out to the other light, connections were made in the fitting with terminal blocks, which due to the proximitry to the lamp, had melted, the insulation round one of the screws dropped off when I disconnected it, anyway, even if I had been able to make the connections in the new fitting (wasn't sure about the room in it), the insulation would have been too brittle to work with, in the end, ended up popping out to the DIY store and buying a couple of junction boxes and a bit of T&E, put the loop through one, and took a feed out to another junction box, where it is connected with the feeds to both lights and the switch cable, screwed both junction boxes to loft joists, so they are both easily accessible.

People don't seem to realise that incandesant lamps in confined spaces will melt nearby connections.

A simple favor of swapping lights ended up taking longer than it should, and also had the issue of the light not wanting to fix into the ceiling with the second one as well

Sponsored Links
goes to show yopu shouldn't do some one a favour.

It may seem cruel to say that, but when they say..........oh it will not take you long its only.............. and like a mug yo fall for it, and you find so much wrong with it / alkward you have to ask, why i am i doing this, and do they offer you a cuppa? NO

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back