How do you remove artex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
i used a product called X_Tex Textured Coatings Remover. It was water based and didnt give any skin burmns. I applied one coat and left overnight, the next day i took it all off with a wide flat scraper. I got it from S.J.Dixon & sons in Birmingham..

I'm in the process of getting Artex off walls. I'm told that the painted surface can be keyed to take plaster over the top. What do I key it with? PVA, or something to take the smooth surface off the paint?

So far this is what I can tell you - (assuming that it's been painted with vinyl emulsion, score it well with a knife, by well I mean the lines need to be no more than an inch apart. Then steam it off with a wallpaper steamer, and a 6inch scraper with extra long handle for two handed use! (available from Trade decorating suppliers). The trick being - you can't have too much steam and have one person steaming and one scraping. You'll need to skim the walls afterwards too. An alternative to a knife is those wallpaper scorers with the toothed wheels.

But having read here about X-Tex I'm off to try that.

Sponsored Links
I've just moved into a new house which has artex on the sitting room (average sized room) and bathroom (small room) walls which i wish to be removed professionally. Will this cost a fortune? Can anyone recommend a professional in Leeds please?

if you read through this subject, you will see that you can either "skim it" or remove it, skimming seems to be the cheaper option, as removing it takes along time, so therfor a lot of money

as for some one in Leeds, check out your local yellow pages, but before commitg your self ask to go and see some that he has done.

I had Artex ceilings all over my bungalow and recently had a lot of work done which included skimming over the Artex.

Should the Artex have been coated before skimming as I don't remember seeing the contractor do that?

Are we in any danger from dust following holes being cut in the Artex for installation of downlighters?

Best not to try my bathroom ceiling is artex and I asked an expert at work who said that at best it will take forever and evre and you will ebd up with a crap finish.
The best thing to do is get is skimmed by a plasterer, this should only take one day, depending on the size of the ceiling. if you ask first how he wants it prepared you cn do this yourself, it just envolves painting on a type of Unibond ( he will tell you what to get).
Then you will end up with a lovely smotth finish which will last and no holes in the ceiling

Best not to try my bathroom ceiling is artex and I asked an expert at work who said that at best it will take forever and evre and you will ebd up with a crap finish.
The best thing to do is get is skimmed by a plasterer, this should only take one day, depending on the size of the ceiling. if you ask first how he wants it prepared you cn do this yourself, it just envolves painting on a type of Unibond ( he will tell you what to get).
Then you will end up with a lovely smotth finish which will last and no holes in the ceiling

post locked to prevent hijacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back