How does a solar inverter connect to a CU without bypassing the RCD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've had quite a few solar panels quotes from different solar companies and I realise I have asked questions that they might not have been able to answer correctly as they were the salesmen and not the electricians doing the work.
I think one of them said they will connect the inverter to one spare MCB of the consumer unit, is this correct?
I have a consumer unit with a single RCD for both rings and two non RCD lighting circuits; if they connect a new MCB to the RCD side of the consumer unit, doesn't that mean that in case of a fault on one ring, the rcd might not disconnect because the current is flowing from the inverter to the ring directly without passing through the RCD (as there is no power drawn from the grid)?

Sponsored Links
connect the inverter to one spare MCB of the consumer unit, is this correct?
Yes, that is the usual method.

if they connect a new MCB to the RCD side of the consumer unit,
That arrangement is not permitted, the inverter must connect to an MCB on the non-RCD side.

If connected to an RCD which also supplies other circuits, when the RCD trips the inverter will detect the loss of supply and shut down, but not within the required disconnection time of the RCD.
If the circuit to the inverter requires an RCD, then that RCD or RCBO must supply the inverter only.

Yes, that is the usual method.

That arrangement is not permitted, the inverter must connect to an MCB on the non-RCD side.

If connected to an RCD which also supplies other circuits, when the RCD trips the inverter will detect the loss of supply and shut down, but not within the required disconnection time of the RCD.
If the circuit to the inverter requires an RCD, then that RCD or RCBO must supply the inverter only.
Thanks, so they connect it to the non-rcd side on the CU.
Isn’t another reason that if the load on one rcd side circuit is less than the current pv production (and excess going into a battery), then all current flows from inverter to said circuit, without going through any rcd? Is this even remotely possible?

they might not have been able to answer correctly as they were the salesmen and not the electricians doing the work.
If they are selling an item then they should have the technical knowledge to answer the questions the potential purchasers are going to ask.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back