How does affordable housing work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking at affordable housing stipulations by my local council, on sites of 15 or more houses. The policy is that, since the economic downturn, 40% of the houses on a site must be affordable. Let's say I am Mr Barratt and I build a hundred houses on a site..

Do I literally have to give 40 of them, lock stock and barrel, for free to a Registered Social Landlord / transfer them to a part of my business that operates as an RSL?
Or do I sell them to an RSL at 75% of the current market rate, thereby getting 75% for myself, giving away 25% and then then RSL will sell them on to Joe ***** at 75% of market rate and collect rent on the other 25%?

Sponsored Links
The Council would normally offer two options... either offer a percentage of AH units or pay an AH contribution. The latter is normally the only option when you're erecting new units and it's impossible to provide AH units. I had this in providing an additional 3-bed attached unit under Woking Borough Council. The contribution they originally requested was £35k. We had this reduced by 50%. But it could still make the project unviable.

That kinda didn't answer my question (sorry).. Does the developer sell the houses to the council at the lower market rate, essentially giving away 25% of the market value of the house to the council, or does he give the house to the council, accepting a punch on the nose of whatever each unit costs to build multiplied by the number of units given away?

Sponsored Links
Oh my apologies. I haven't been involved in the process post construction. Why not speak to your LPA as I'd be interested to know too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back