How does it work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have a dimmer switch connected to a pendant light. There is an additional switch on the other side of the room.

Currently connected as follows
GALLERY]

However, the switch on the other side of the room does not switch on/off and the light remains on even pushing the dimmer on/off. IF I take away red cable [GALLERY=media, 28018][/GALLERY]
the switch will turn on/off via dimmer but not using the other switch! :? Why? Surely the red wire should connect into L1?

How should this be wired? Do yellow and blue cables have red sheathing to denote live? I am normally ok with electric basics but lighting baffles me!

Sponsored Links
Have a read of Wiki regarding two way lighting

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

This will allow you to check the cables.

Did the dimmer just stop working? Or was it working before you changed something on the circuit?

If the dimmer did just stop working and the bulb is okay (and the right type and size) and there are no obvious wiring issues then the dimmer may be faulty.

Either test it with a multimeter or change it.

The sketch does not look like a typical wiring set up on closer inspection.

Or to be more precise, it is wired up wrong.

The 2 core switch wire, red and black, are in the same terminal so the light will remain on.

I would expect to see the 2 core red in L1

Then the 2 core black in L2

The 3 core red in COM, ASSUMING red has been used at the other end common.

Assuming above, the 3 core yellow in L1
and 3 core blue in L2

If red is not common at other end, use appropriate wire, and remaining two for L1 and L2.

Thank you very much for your very helpful reply :)

As I understand it the switch should look like this?

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your very helpful reply :)

As I understand it the switch should look like this?

GALLERY]

Rusty... it might be better to explain how a one way and two way work with the old colour conductors and the way I was taught.

One way - the red (T&E) conductor goes in C and black conductor(T&E)(sleeved with red) goes in L1. This is the traditional one way for info only.

Two way switch one - (This is the one with Twin and Earth and 3 core cables present.)
(T&E) red conductor goes to L1 and black (sleeved with red) to L2. (Three Core & E) red conductor to C - Yellow conductor(sleeved with red) to L1 and blue conductor(sleeved with red) to L2. - As you have it.

Two way switch two (assuming it is not linked to another light) should have three core & E only. Red Conductor to C - Yellow conductor(sleeved with red) to L1 and blue conductor(sleeved with red) to L2.

The three core colours should alway match the terminal descriptors in each switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back