How does my boiler know when my rooms are heated to 20C?

My car was built with no ignition switch, so even when I am not driving it, it runs on tickover, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pretty sensible, huh?

Sponsored Links
You mean, like a timer to start it up every morning at 8am, even if I don't need it?

Fit a solding thermostat.

My car was built with no ignition switch, so even when I am not driving it, it runs on tickover, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pretty sensible, huh?
I do have a ignition switch on my boiler John, its called a programmer so my boiler doesn't run on tickover 24 hours/day, it only runs for my required times.

Sponsored Links
So you like your boiler to run in July, when the house is hot, and pointlessly send hot gases out of the flue to warm the birds, and hot water round a pipe to warm the spiders.

It's lucky gas is free in your house.

Fit a thermostat.

So you like your boiler to run in July, when the house is hot, and pointlessly send hot gases out of the flue to warm the birds, and hot water round a pipe to warm the spiders.
I personally make the conscious decision to turn my thermostat down in the summer - almost like turning off a switch.
I wonder if there is one of those on the programmer? :unsure:

I personally make the conscious decision to turn my thermostat down in the summer - almost like turning off a switch.
I wonder if there is one of those on the programmer? :unsure:

It's lucky gas is free in your house.

Fit a thermostat

Roomstat or not has got absolutely nothing to do with running your boiler in July if/when you have programmed CH/HW, in the summer, when heating is no longer required. you just switch off the heating at the programmer, the boiler will then only fire on HW demand, the CH motorized valve will prevent any hot water circulating through the rads, it seems to me thats how mine works at any rate.

Last edited:
It has a outdoor temp sensor = weather compensator, this is why no thermostat is fitted?

Without a thermostat the boiler will continue to run even when all of the rooms are up to temperature, it will be ticking over keeping itself warm unnecessarily and the pump will be running too. In cold weather when there is a requirement for heat for most of the time, then it probably won't be wasting too much energy (but every little helps :giggle:) But, at the start and conclusion of the heating season, if the programmer were on for say 6 hours a day, but the radiators only need heat for one or two hours in that period to keep the rooms warm, then the rest of the time the boiler is running unnecessarily.

A room thermostat provides a boiler interlock and switches the boiler off completely saving both gas and electricity.

Having said that there are some Smart TRV systems that communicate with a control box that provide a boiler interlock and will turn off the boiler when none of the TRV's are calling for heat.

Even with an outdoor thermostat an indoor thermostat is still preferable. For example, it was 8C degrees outside this morning, so quite likely an outdoor thermostat will have started the boiler. However my house was still 21C indoors so no heating is actually needed.

Last edited:
Without a thermostat the boiler will continue to run even when all of the rooms are up to temperature, it will be ticking over keeping itself warm unnecessarily and the pump will be running too. In cold weather when there is a requirement for heat for most of the time, then it probably won't be wasting too much energy (but every little helps :giggle:) But, at the start and conclusion of the heating system, if the programmer were on for say 6 hours a day, but the radiators only need heat for one or two hours in that period to keep the rooms warm, then the rest of the time the boiler is running unnecessarily.

A room thermostat provides a boiler interlock and switches the boiler off completely saving both gas and electricity.

Having said that there are some Smart TRV systems that communicate with a control box that provide a boiler interlock and will turn off the boiler when none of the TRV's are calling for heat.

Even with an outdoor thermostat an indoor thermostat is still preferable. For example, it was 8C degrees outside this morning, so quite likely an outdoor thermostat will have started the boiler. However my house was still 21C indoors so no heating is actually needed.
yep, quite right, too much rubbish being fitted n not correctly.

Without a thermostat the boiler will continue to run even when all of the rooms are up to temperature, it will be ticking over keeping itself warm unnecessarily and the pump will be running too. In cold weather when there is a requirement for heat for most of the time, then it probably won't be wasting too much energy (but every little helps :giggle:) But, at the start and conclusion of the heating system, if the programmer were on for say 6 hours a day, but the radiators only need heat for one or two hours in that period to keep the rooms warm, then the rest of the time the boiler is running unnecessarily.
When all the rooms are up to temperature they will still require heat to keep them at the setpoint temperature, a roomstat achieves this by on/off boiler control, TRVs will in general maintain the room(s) temperature by maintaing the radiators at the required temperature to give this. One roomstat is pretty useless as it only controls the temperature of one room/space.

Indeed, that's why thermostat location is so crucial. It should be in a cool area, ideally the last area to warm up, so that the other rooms are warm first, and not in an area effected by sunlight, or other heat sources. Unfortunately there are a few properties don't have an ideal location, but generally there's a fairly good location that works reasonably well. Or, installing a couple of thermostats and creating separate zones might resolve it.

I've lost count of the bad installations where the occupant has told me the thermostat doesn't work, but actually it did, it was just in the wrong location. I've found them in kitchens, above radiators, in a room where the radiator has a TRV that stopped the thermostat reaching its set point, and even up at almost ceiling level....the list goes on.

Why is it wrong?

From what I have read, if the TRV is set lower that the room stat, the stat will never reach the cut off temperature.

You are describing how controls can be incorrectly installed and incorrectly set.

This does not justify pointlessly firing the boiler when it is not required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back