How does my smart meter communicate so well?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My meter is in a cupboard at the back of the house and it communicates well with the remote display in the living room. My EDF hub (on their website) has got a reading for every single day since it was installed. But my road is in a dip and we can rarely get a good phone/data signal. Most of the time we have no signal at all. So how does my meter manage to communicate so well? The readings on the edf hub are spot on, by the way.

Sponsored Links
Your phone may not use the same network as the smart meter.
Smart meters can communicate with other smart meters in the local area.
The amount of data transmitted from a smart meter is tiny.

As above, the smart meters use a Wide Area Network and have a Mesh networking capability.
Meaning, if your meter can't contact the data communications company (DCC) directly, it can pass the data through a number of communication hubs (on other Smart meters), before finding one with a good signal to connect to the DCC.

Some further information here:

Edf use a range of data networks and are able to select one that is appropriate for the area.

Sponsored Links
Old Salt....my phone would love to do the same!!:giggle: When the edf chaps were installing the meter they did say that my road was well-known for communications issues. Is it true that some people have to send a reading to the supplier from a smart meter because it can't communicate?

Last edited:
Is it true that some people have to send a reading to the supplier from a smart meter because it can't communicate?
It's certainly true for me at the moment. My SMETS1 smart meter comms hub has recently given up talking to the supplier and to my home energy monitor. I've been assured comms should be restored "after you get your next bill". I don't have much faith that will happen.

Mine too. Had a new meter last week so I can use the EV 4 hour rate for 7.5 p /Kwh. Fortunately my washing machine and dishwasher both have a delayed start.
Now if I can just persuade the wife to cook dinner at 3.30 am and shower by 4 am I should get my energy bill down to an acceptable level.

Now if I can just persuade the wife to cook dinner at 3.30 am and shower by 4 am I should get my energy bill down to an acceptable level.
Use gas for both and cook and shower anytime will get your energy bill even lower.

Just a footnote about smart meters. I do like mine and the range of web-based pages that EDF have to let you see your usage day by day. The main issue seems to be the monthly DD system that means you pay more in the summer to offset winter peaks. With EDF I've chosen to pay for what I've used every quarter so there's no monthly deduction by DD, just one every 3 months. I don't have any credit but I don't owe them anything either. Of course, all this depends on the meter continuing to work properly. I have BG for my gas and am thinking of letting them install a smart meter, but I'm worried that this might interfere with my EDF one, as I believe that the reading goes via that. Any views one way or the other?

Old Salt....my phone would love to do the same!!:giggle: When the edf chaps were installing the meter they did say that my road was well-known for communications issues. Is it true that some people have to send a reading to the supplier from a smart meter because it can't communicate?

Yes, some meters just cannot communicate. Your phone can use any, or the most available network it can find, when you use it to make a 999 call.

I have BG for my gas and am thinking of letting them install a smart meter, but I'm worried that this might interfere with my EDF one, as I believe that the reading goes via that. Any views one way or the other?

All meter readings are sent via a central common hub, then passed on to your supplier, so it should not make any difference who supplies you with what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back