How does one unStiffen single lever Ceramic taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the secret of unstiffenening single lever Ceramic taps? Some times more or less virgin tapes become very stiff through lack of use what is the secret method of freeing them up?

Sponsored Links
Er.. use them (but don't tell anyone, it's a secret) :)

Hmmm well i've been using mine for a couple of years, and its not getting any looser. Mine is a cheap one from MFI...

I put in my fitted kitchen several years ago (from MFI) which used a mixer tap with those quarter turn from off to full

First time I turned it on, got an awful crunching sound and found that the ceramic bit had fallen apart - albeit from my forcing it a bit to free it

Fair play to MFI they changed it on the spot (when I demanded to see the manager and refused to leave the store at closing time)

This one has worked without problem for many happy years

:D :D

Sponsored Links
sounds like it might need taking appart and silicone grease applying to the discs. However I have only experience in servicing 1/4 turn, I've never needed to dismantle a single lever type.

If u live in a hard water area the limescale gets into the moving parts and stiffens them up.
Try brushing on vinegar with an old toothbrush working it into all the nooks and crannnies (on the tap that is), it does work.
Let us know waht happens

The ceramic disc type taps had the original selling point of not being affected by hard ward, as the ribbing action on the disc stoped lime scale forming, they also claimed that they didn't wear. They do & are not cheap to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back