How dry does it need to be to build a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a wall using concrete blocks/bricks and sand/cement mortar but is this a no no in winter, how long of a dry spell do I need after building? Will temps be a problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would like a few nice dry days before but having said that its not impossible to laid in adverse conditions, just takes a bit more time and patience.

If you have bad weather after, i.e heavy rain ,cover with boards, plastic, what ever you have, mainly the top courses.

Temp wise if its below 4 degrees you shouldnt laid (site rules!) but as long as theres not ice on the water in a bucket you should be fine, protect from frost with hessian each night.

Wet weather is not so much a problem as cold weather, as The-brickie has already pointed out.

In fact, some dryer more porous masonry will benefit from a light damping prior to being laid. But, you should not let masonry become saturated or allow the 'muck' to wash off or out of the joints.

Anywhere close to freezing is a no-no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back