How easy is it to move a toilet in a flat with a concrete slab ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My prospective bathroom x 2 remodel needs one of the toilets to move about 2m so that I can extend the other bathroom into that space. This space will then be fitted with another bath accessed from the other bathroom etc.

The building is purpose built 1980s low rise flats and the current toilet is on an external wall. I am presuming the current soil pipe goes down the cavity in the wall or just inside as it is built in and I haven't opened it up to check yet.

I read elsewhere on a previous reply from 2010 that an extended pipe from the toilet needs a fall of 18mm per metre making this to need 40mm or so. Is this correct in 2022 ?

I'd rather not put in a macerator having had a bad experience of them previously but if that is the only answer then so be it. I am open to any type of toilet which can perform the function.

Can I simply run a pipe from the toilet outlet to the original soil pipe if I somehow can run it under the proposed bath ?

Thanks.

1668794125738.png

Sponsored Links
18mm per/m is still the minimum.

You won't get it under the bath, maybe along the wall beside it but even then the legs/feet will still probably get in the way.

Where does the toilet waste go in the other bathroom?
I was expecting that toilet to be against the outside wall like the other one.
Can you put the waste from the newly placed toilet into the outlet from the other bathrooms toilet?

Last edited:
Macerator? I know some don’t like them but you can put them almost anywhere you like. We have one in our downstairs loo. It was a lot easier and cheaper than digging up our whole drive and breaking into the sewer.

Sponsored Links
Where does the toilet waste go in the other bathroom?
I was expecting that toilet to be against the outside wall like the other one.
Can you put the waste from the newly placed toilet into the outlet from the other bathrooms toilet?

I see the logic and it had not escaped me that might be easier but the proposed configuration for that area is a walk in shower.

This was the proposed

1668812699956.png

but I guess that could be reconfigures to the below to more align the toilets.

1668812805946.png

Macerator? I know some don’t like them but you can put them almost anywhere you like. We have one in our downstairs loo. It was a lot easier and cheaper than digging up our whole drive and breaking into the sewer.

If you use a macerator, does it have to be inline or can it be used in some fashion to get around the problems with direct piping and required fall rates per metre ?
I'm thinking about access for it too, if it goes wrong !

You can fit them almost anywhere. They can pump waste something like 50m horizontally and 5m vertically or more through a 22mm pipe (no 90° bends, swept bends only).

If you put a toilet anywhere but on the same wall that the soil pipe is on, especially with a slab, you are always going to struggle to run the soil pipe over any real distance, that and you will always have to hide the pipework

Red dots are current soil pipes going downstairs through the building. Yellow dots are potential locations for new toilets. Green lines are potential soil pipes connecting potential new toilets to existing soil pipes.

Any thoughts on the 3 locations ?

1669585102068.png

Attachments

• 1669583557124.png
    1669583557124.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back