How easy is it to plaster and get good results?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering because I'm toying with doing my own plastering, but will I get a decent enough finish? Or is it better paying a builder.

Some people say leave it to skilled, others say have a go... I don't know

Sponsored Links
Unlike some skills you can learn from You tube or a book and spend hours getting right like basic plumbing, wiring a plug, putting up a shelf etc. Plastering is one that needs practice and a knack to do it (like those window cleaners that can squeegee off a window in one pass without a streak!). If it's just a couple of sq metres by all means have a go, but if its a room or ceiling it's a job for a pro well worth the money.

I've done my own, I went on a weeks course a few years back and I've since then have effectively plastered about 2 houses worth over the time. I take my time and tackle only the amount I can do comfortably. I'm also still very messy.

It's definitely a skill to do, as said above it's not something you can pick up quickly, definitely not from the internet...you can only get good at it by doing it, and doing it a lot....pros make it look a doddle but it's not at all.

Lots of facets to it, getiting the mix right, getting it put on in time without it going off being the biggest to overcome.

If you're interested in doing it in the future I'd say give it a try...if it's only skim you could probably just pay pro to do it after if you're not happy (and you've not made it too uneven, or have to chip it off). Otherwise if it's just one room, just pay someone, if you're picky like me you won't get a good enough finish if you've never tried it before.

I've got a few rooms worth so I'll get the builders in and go to college to learn afterwards, I can see hassle in doing it myself and I'm very picky which doesn't help. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
I've got a few rooms worth so I'll get the builders in and go to college to learn afterwards, I can see hassle in doing it myself and I'm very picky which doesn't help. Thanks guys
I have tried many times, cant get the knack, filling 1ft x 1ft hole sort of size I can do.
Get a man in, get all your prepping done it will have it done in know time & with very little mess.

I had our plasterer around doing a few sets a year ago and being a good mate, he was more than happy when I asked to have a go.

I plastered the wall to one side of our chimney breast, and although it is only 4ft wide, it still took me a while...

The in laws arrived that evening, and being that I was rather happy with my efforts (note my friend didn't even touch the wall at any point during or after) I said to the old man 'go on, have a guess which wall I did..'

To my dismay he went straight over to the wall I did, rubbed his hand all over it, and said..... 'well it's not that one'!

I was over the moon as it was the first time I'd ever tried - so you can do it, but it does really help if you've got someone there who can give you some pointers while you're doing it.

Tom

I paid mates rates, and never worked it out - I just know a couple of hundred quick saw him sweat his nuts off for a few long days!

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back